Why are there twist-offs and pry-tops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdineenwob

Reaction score
His may be a pointless question but I've always wondered. Why do some breweries use twist off caps and some use the pry tops?

Is it the cost? Image? Oxygen seal?

honestly couldn't tell you....I know why twist-offs are used....cuz we are lazy American's.

I think its convenience: they want people to be able to take the caps off without using an opener (or your teeth, I guess). The easier the beer is to get to, the more people will drink, I guess?

I always view the breweries that use twist offs with more than a little disdain (because they are generally macros pretending to be micros, and I can't reuse their bottles, the jerks!)

I have no problem using twist off caps and bottles.
and the caps can be re-sanitized and used again as long as the cap is not bent.
Pry off ones become garbage once pryed off the bottle then you need to run out and
buy more.

I have no problem using twist off caps and bottles.
and the caps can be re-sanitized and used again as long as the cap is not bent.
Pry off ones become garbage once pryed off the bottle then you need to run out and
buy more.

I have heard of bad results from reusing caps and capping onto twist-off bottles with hand- or bench-cappers. If it works for you, great deal. I just don't want to run the risk of losing a beer because of a bad seal.

Twist off caps originally came out to compete with the flip top cans. I know most of you aren't old enough to believe this but for many years you had to use an opener with a can too. The bottle companies lost market share in the years after the introduction of the flip top and then the current pop top opening cans. It's all about convenience and speed for the chugging crowd which is why you most often see twist offs on mega brewed product.

Twist off caps originally came out to compete with the flip top cans. I know most of you aren't old enough to believe this but for many years you had to use an opener with a can too. The bottle companies lost market share in the years after the introduction of the flip top and then the current pop top opening cans. It's all about convenience and speed for the chugging crowd which is why you most often see twist offs on mega brewed product.

Interesting. So it was a response to cans becoming available in the market.

I always wondered because it feels like twist off bottles feel less hefty and generally "cheaper". What never made sense is that you'd think the microbrews who have fewer resources would use the twist offs.

mdineenwob said:
[...]What never made sense is that you'd think the microbrews who have fewer resources would use the twist offs.

That's an anathematic association: who's gonna pay $10+ a sixer for anything in a twist off bottle?

Cheers! ;)

day_trippr said:
who's gonna pay $10+ a sixer for anything in a twist off bottle?

;)

Who's gonna pay $10+ for a sixer of anything?

Pretty pricey beer at that price.

As the price of beer continues to rise, making great Homebrew becomes an extremely cost effective hobby.

EdWort said:

As the price of beer continues to rise, making great Homebrew becomes an extremely cost effective hobby.

I happily pay $10+ for a sixer to try some of the unique and amazing brews out on the craft beer market. As a dedicated homebrewers it behooves us to drink a wide varieties of beer, and then make them better. But there always remains a select few beers which are out of my ability or sensory skills to replicate. Russian River Consecration is once I enjoyed just last night that would come to mind as a beer I am happy to pay to enjoy, and at a steep cost as well.
Support your LHBS to no end, but it is also important to support your craft breweries who are innovators and can teach us all a lesson or two about new styles, creativity, and amazing taste.
Brew on!

That's an anathematic association: who's gonna pay $10+ a sixer for anything in a twist off bottle?

Cheers! ;)

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Up until a few years ago, Sierra Nevada's "stubby" bottles were all twist offs. Did that mean the product inside the bottles was somehow sub par?

10 bucks is the price to play for anything decent in Tennessee... which is why I started homebrewing. That being said, I'll stick pick up a sixer or two every month and don't blink if I spend 12 to 15 bucks to get something quality.

Since I started drinking primarily micro brews I have noticed a metallic flavor imparted my the cap on twist off. That's my only beef with them. My guess is you see pop off from micros more often because the process/equipment is cheaper and easier to deploy. I bet micros like spending money on their brewhause instead of their bottling line.

What I don't understand is why the brewers use caps on bottles that have threads on them.. why not stay with the old crown type bottle.. What good are the threads?

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Think about it for awhile, I'm sure it will come to you eventually.

Up until a few years ago, Sierra Nevada's "stubby" bottles were all twist offs. Did that mean the product inside the bottles was somehow sub par?

Think about why they no longer come in twist offs...

Cheers!

FWIW Unibroue uses twist off bottles and they make some of my favorite beers. They are Canadian, though, so maybe that explains it.

Hey, I had a hard time working up to some of the oskar blues $10+ sixers in a can! but I did it and they are great. seeing more micros going to canning.

Cheers!

I thought about it for a while and I don't see why its a "anathematic association" just because he feels that twist-offs feel lighter and cheaper. I don't know if they are cheaper but they are lighter because they don't have the thick-glass-neck-ring-thingy(insert industry term if there is one) just beneath the bottle cap.
-Jefe-

Hey, I had a hard time working up to some of the oskar blues $10+ sixers in a can! but I did it and they are great. seeing more micros going to canning.

A few near me and one that is about to start canning are switching to cans instead of bottles. A new brewery in Houston named Karbach (ex-CEO of flying dogs new company) He said they are using cans because its cheaper for them and there is absolutely no light that can get in which a beer can have a longer shelf life. Also its easier to recycle aluminum instead of glass. I dont mind the switch just leave me some so i can "recycle" for my brews :mug:

Have to start looking for Karbach, liked most of flying dogs brews! wheat was awful... but other than that pretty good to excellent. Only keeping SN shorty bottles any more, and a few long necks for competitions. giving extras that don't fit in keg in SN bottles and carbing with carb drops, to buddies to take home if they like it on draft.

JefeTheVol said:
I thought about it for a while and I don't see why its a "anathematic association" just because he feels that twist-offs feel lighter and cheaper. [...]

Nothing to do with technology, it's simply a prejudicial association. Twist off adult beverages are associated with lesser lights.

It's the same reasoning that most fine wines still come in corked bottles and not twist offs - or boxes...

Cheers!

Cheers!

I thought about it. Taken at face value, it's one of the more idiotic statements I've heard. According to you, beer in twist off bottles is somehow lower in quality than beer in pry tops. Your words, not mine.

Nothing to do with technology, it's simply a prejudicial association. Twist off adult beverages are associated with lesser lights.

It's the same reasoning that most fine wines still come in corked bottles and not twist offs - or boxes...

Cheers!

Also not a correct assumption. To your way of thinking, canned beer is also sub-par, and many wines from around the globe, and especially in Europe come packaged in Tetra-pack boxes. Do your homework.

I thought about it. Taken at face value, it's one of the more idiotic statements I've heard. According to you, beer in twist off bottles is somehow lower in quality than beer in pry tops. Your words, not mine.

Your comprehension problem, not mine. Try again...

Cheers!

Also not a correct assumption. To your way of thinking, canned beer is also sub-par, and many wines from around the globe, and especially in Europe come packaged in Tetra-pack boxes. Do your homework.

I "do my homework" every time I buy a pricey bottle of wine. And just because there is "wine" sold in all manner of containers, I've never seen fine wine in a twist top bottle, and certainly not a box (with that fine vinyl aftertaste. Yum!)

I don't make the decisions for the micros to not use twist off bottles, nor do I dictate that really good wine still use corked bottles.

And you're still failing to comprehend the point...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
I don't make the decisions for the micros to not use twist off bottles, nor do I dictate that really good wine still use corked bottles.

Heh. Ending a troll with "Cheers!" implicitly declares it isn't a troll. Gotcha!

Plenty of micros and craft brews come in twisties and even *gasp* cans. There are also plenty of great beers made by the big macros.

Bottles as a whole will eventually be phased out, as more and more beverage producers realize the sheer practicality of alternative packaging. Wine in a box is great. It doesn't oxidize as fast. Beer in a can is great. It doesn't skunk quick.

For me, I have to use what is within my own means - which will be bottles and kegs. If only I had the facilities to effectively can or box homebrew!

(Oskar's, Leini's, Goose Island, etc are canned / twist-off, Bota / Black Box makes better wine than most bottled out there, etc. )

Leini's is terrible beer for the most part (a couple of winners like Big Butt), but that's just my opinion;). I personally think the twisties are for convenience more than anything. A bottle opener is a bit difficult to carry around for some...

I always have 2 on me:D!

Heh. Ending a troll with "Cheers!" implicitly declares it isn't a troll. Gotcha!

That's exactly what I was thinking. :) Ending a *****ey response like "think about and it will come to you eventually" with "Cheers" doesn't make the comment any less pretentious. Its just confusing.

If you are gonna ****** out on a forum, keep it consistent throughout the post. We simpletons easily get confused.
-Jefe-

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone else remember the old Coors double button cans. Brings back memories. I don't buy beer in twist offs. I want bottles, dammit!

I "do my homework" every time I buy a pricey bottle of wine. And just because there is "wine" sold in all manner of containers, I've never seen fine wine in a twist top bottle, and certainly not a box (with that fine vinyl aftertaste. Yum!)

And you're still failing to comprehend the point...

Cheers!

You're clearly an expert in marketing. And in vinyl aftertastes.

And you are failing to make ANY point.

From this point on, I will argue no further. You're doing a good enough job digging yourself into a hole without anyone egging you on. I'm going to be in the kitchen unscrewing me some fine wine.

A bottle opener is a bit difficult to carry around for some...

I always have 2 on me:D!

I do as well... back of the belt buckle and one on my watchband! In general, pop tops have a better seal than twisties, but keep in mind there is also image and tradition to uphold for some breweries. For those who can't be bothered taking the time to pry the cap off their beer, I would ask, is your beer not worth that extra few seconds? If not, I believe you have your answer.

Latest posts

Back