Why are homebrew people SO cheap??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe i should have double quoted...i thought the reference to the word daid would make it clear...and honestly, i'm up to #10 i think! f'in'a i'm listeing to get this party started by pink too! (you need to join the music match game!) ((and, yeah i pay for 'youtube premium' too because i'm a 'cheap' homebrewer!))
love pink

bet yo a.. seeing how this is the cheap thread how bout key lights all around. 30 stone ought to do it.

Haha, whoa, flashback. My friends and I got a deal at boulder liquor mart in college on 64 cent quarts of, cant remember, key lights. hah, we drank about a hundred dollars worth of them. Man glad this thread popped up for that memory. Ahh, the good ol days when a hundred quarts of keystone light and a 500 sq ft apartment with 3 guys was heaven.

heaven man, only i'd be the only one saying...i can make my own cheaper, you should try it!

edit: and i'm sure they'd get scared...oh my god!!!we could never make are own drugs!! lol :mug:

Last edited:
maybe i should have double quoted...i thought the reference to the word daid would make it clear...and honestly, i'm up to #10 i think! f'in'a i'm listeing to get this party started by pink too! (you need to join the music match game!) ((and, yeah i pay for 'youtube premium' too because i'm a 'cheap' homebrewer!))
Fk you save so much on brewing that you get premium subscriptions. Damn foo.. dilly dilly [emoji482]

bet yo a.. seeing how this is the cheap thread how bout key lights all around. 30 stone ought to do it.

Haha, whoa, flashback. My friends and I got a deal at boulder liquor mart in college on 64 cent quarts of, cant remember, key lights. hah, we drank about a hundred dollars worth of them. Man glad this thread popped up for that memory. Ahh, the good ol days when a hundred quarts of keystone light and a 500 sq ft apartment with 3 guys was heaven.
Hamms for me.

I also always look at the time spent argument the same way. For me personally if I wasn't brewing that day I would literally be sitting on the couch watching tv so I can't count that labour into the costs. Now if I took a day off work to brew or missing your kids soccer or whatever that's a different story. Cheers
*Sigh* the point is that you COULD be working. Your time is always money.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190222-075349.png
    Screenshot_20190222-075349.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 73
Eh, that’s kind of the rat race mentality. Always chasing a buck.

I’ve lost what the conversation is about but if certain people want to increase their leasure time, and have to live frugally to do it, then so be it. That’s a very healthy decision. There are lots of places out there that the opportunity cost is negligible, so the penny saved penny earned saying is true.

Working more so you can spend more seems a lot more irrational to me. I see it everywhere.

the "time is money" fascination that people throw around does ring true to me, time past does not mean dollars earned, I understand that the OP is trying to say that time is valuable, but he is getting value tied to dollars, not value tied to a hobby, or family time, or fortnite, so when I am brewing I an not working, and by definition not getting paid, i only get paid for about 8 hrs a day 5 days a week then WORK is over then I can do whatever I want and the monetary value of whatever I do out of work is the SAME....$0.

Ebonics????
Are you a racist?

i did just look up dilly, i'm still not sure about the foo? but the def for Fo is field officer, and dilly apparently means 'a fine example'...so like i said in my post 'sounds right'?

( and i just had to make comment on a youtube video defending guinan "the magical negro", saying you know she was really famous at the time...so you tell me, am i?)

edit: and it's snowing in S.AZ again! my hose is frozen...and i can't brew my cheap ass 8 dollar 10 gal batch today either! lol :mug:

Last edited:
The way I see it, one way or another you are investing it the process; Time, money, labor, heartache.
It’s what you value the most that makes it a priority. Also, it’s a hobby. What makes it more enjoyable as a hobby to you?
Is it being able to have an ROI (vs cost of purchasing beer) on your equipment/recipe after 15 gallons?
Maybe one takes great pride in the sparkle and complexity of their setup.

Being a manufacturing engineer, I don't mind spending a bit more on the equipment for the sake of repeatability, time saved, and efficiency. But I also value getting great deals on materials, usually in the form of finding common ingredients that I can buy in bulk at reduced prices for use in many of my recipes.

This year alone i have built a ferm chamber, bought a second burner, upgraded a kettle, invested in an RO system, bought a keezer, 2 temp controlers, nitro tank, equipment to harvest yeast, and ingredients for 80 gallons. Probably spent close to a grand already. If that's not cheap i don't know what is.

This year alone i have built a ferm chamber, bought a second burner, upgraded a kettle, invested in an RO system, bought a keezer, 2 temp controlers, nitro tank, equipment to harvest yeast, and ingredients for 80 gallons. Probably spent close to a grand already. If that's not cheap i don't know what is.
based on that list, that sounds pretty cheap

the "time is money" fascination that people throw around does ring true to me, time past does not mean dollars earned, I understand that the OP is trying to say that time is valuable, but he is getting value tied to dollars, not value tied to a hobby, or family time, or fortnite, so when I am brewing I an not working, and by definition not getting paid, i only get paid for about 8 hrs a day 5 days a week then WORK is over then I can do whatever I want and the monetary value of whatever I do out of work is the SAME....$0.

I take the opposite approach after my 40+hrs are up for the week my time becomes 4-5x more valuable, depending on what tasks/favors/side gigs people are trying to get me to do. If it's not something I want to do they get an exorbanate rate. If its fun cheap to free rates. I've tied dollars to my free time as a way to protect it, or at the least they're paying a premium for it. Though I get your point, if I had nothing pulling my own free time away from me, I would quote it at $0 too.

There is a difference between cost and value.

I spare no expense on the things I value, but save on cost where I can in order to afford that luxury.

I see no value in buying base malt by the pound. My cost is cut in half by buying the same malt by the sack.

I see no value in buying hops by the ounce. My cost is about 1/3 when buying the same hops by the pound.

I see no value in buying liquid yeast when twice the cell count of a comparable strain is available for half the cost.

Lemme see, If I brew an average IPA, twice a month, and save about $16 per batch, that's a cost savings of over $400 to spend on something I value.

My wife and I love to travel with our daughter and other family members when we can. This year we're doing 2 1/2 weeks in Ireland, where my wife was born and raised. Maybe the last time we'll see many of her friends and family members. The savings on brewing, dining out. shopping for deals and living debt free allows us to do this on a limited income. Damn the COST, that's VALUE.

Yes, it’s been studied. Once your income reaches a certain level and your basic needs are met, a higher income is no longer correlated with increased happiness. It becomes about ego.
I dunno man.. i was just on vacation in florida over a long weekend and rented a supercharged V8 convertible jaguar f type..... Either those studies are wrong or a convertible ferrari 458 is a "need" for me, lol

Yes, it’s been studied. Once your income reaches a certain level and your basic needs are met, a higher income is no longer correlated with increased happiness. It becomes about ego.
Disposable income usually doesn't increase at the same rate as increased income. People with higher income spend more on 'necessities' like large homes, higher priced brands, expensive cars. They don't often end up with more 'extra' money for things.

Disposable income usually doesn't increase at the same rate as increased income. People with higher income spend more on 'necessities' like large homes, higher priced brands, expensive cars. They don't often end up with more 'extra' money for things.
I saw a study just last month that said 78% of Americans live month-to-month, with no savings. Even scarier is the fact that 10% of people making over $100,000/yr still live month-to-month. Spending everything you have, with no emergency fund, is crazy!

When we were home shopping 10 years ago, we didn't go out and find the best house we could afford. We found the best house we could afford if one of us lost their job.

Great, except I dont think that was the point you made or the point I was commenting about. Thank you for sharing that though, and it makes sense. Okay upon reviewing I see what you are connecting tangentially. My friend like to talk about motivational theories. He likes to point out that research says money doesn't work as a motivation. I havent spent a whole lot of time researching this.

Last edited:
I have seen this 1st hand.

My wife said she wanted a grain crushing attachment for her KitchenAid. I wonder if that would meet my needs as well

I have been using one for my grains. It works, I use it open all the way. It crushes pretty fine so I don't know if you would want to use it without biab brewing. I also throw in some rice hulls before brewing. I brew with a Brewie+ using the Brewie bag and I don't get as much flour in the bottom of my Brewie mash tun as I have seen other people getting. It does keep the barley husks relatively intact. The only thing I don't like about using it is that the hopper is so small. I have heard people complain about over heating of the kitchenaid motor but I have not had that problem. I also haven't done more than 10lbs at a time. If you use it at a higher speed it moves more air through the motor housing.

We all brew because we love beer and (to differing extents) love the process. What I enjoy about HBT and the hobby is the common ground.

I like reading about projects that took a ton of thought, skill, and engineering but not a lot of money just as much as I enjoy the posts about the totally tricked out basement brewery builds.

We all share the same passion of making great beer, who cares how much you spend or save to get there?

I have been using one for my grains. It works, I use it open all the way. It crushes pretty fine so I don't know if you would want to use it without biab brewing. I also throw in some rice hulls before brewing. I brew with a Brewie+ using the Brewie bag and I don't get as much flour in the bottom of my Brewie mash tun as I have seen other people getting. It does keep the barley husks relatively intact. The only thing I don't like about using it is that the hopper is so small. I have heard people complain about over heating of the kitchenaid motor but I have not had that problem. I also haven't done more than 10lbs at a time. If you use it at a higher speed it moves more air through the motor housing.
Good to know. I EBIAB 5 gallon batches so I might keep it in the maybe column. I have a hard time seeing it heat up for grains, my wife and my mother have put those machines through all kinds of crap. There are different motor sizes in them though.

If you have a bed bath and beyond nearby, you can go to their website and some how get 20% off coupons mailed to your house.... don't know much about it but my wife gets the coupons she also gets coupons for 30% sometimes from Kohls but i think that is because she has a store card. I'm not sure if any of them are good on kitchenaid. Both places carry kitchen aid products

We all brew because we love beer and (to differing extents) love the process. What I enjoy about HBT and the hobby is the common ground.

I like reading about projects that took a ton of thought, skill, and engineering but not a lot of money just as much as I enjoy the posts about the totally tricked out basement brewery builds.

We all share the same passion of making great beer, who cares how much you spend or save to get there?

Gotta spend money to save money

Case in point: Equipment costs are cheaper to brew from extract but you pay more for every batch.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will provide for the next genration. Teach a man to brew and he will blast the internet forums until his last breath.
Thinking about the economies of scale... it is so very apparent in homebrewing. Literally every micro brewery started out in somebodies garage/workshop. Because the scale of a homebrewing system lends itself towards experimentation. Most brewmasters keeps a small 5-10 gallon kit for recipe development. So it is easy to see the similarities since in essence we are owner/operator/consumers of our own picobrew environment.

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish...and feed yourself. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard"- Ron Swanson

Latest posts

Back