Why are drip trays so expensive???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas for DYI drip trays?

Depends on how utilitarian you wish to get; a piece of aluminum gutter with a "leaf preventer" on top would work. Pretty cheap.

Or any type of wire grate that was long enough and narrow enough to fit in, say, a drywall mud pan such as something like these.

I usually put a folded piece of paper towel on my drip tray just for the drips so I don't have to clean it out as often. If I have friends over, I'll take it off and expose the drip tray, but it keeps it suprisingly clean as just the few drops get soaked into the paper towel quite readily.

papertowel.jpg

They are damn expensive. I'm going to see if I can't find some highschool shop teachers that can't get their child labour to start cranking them out for me to sell online. Can't be any harder than a mug rack.

Personally, I prefer the approach of a towel or the little cups posted on page one. Normal drip trays are designed for bars. I find on the homebrew scale we often have the fridge in areas where you are not going to hose anything down. The square design makes it difficult to clean imho.

I just made a wood shelf with trim sticking up 1/2" and lay a hand towel in there. Easy to clean as the towel just goes in the washer for cleaning.

Last edited:
I have the Stainless one that just sits on the countertop and wraps around the tower. It really was stupid expensive for what it is. On the bright side it still looks like new years later so I guess its money well spent

Depends on how utilitarian you wish to get; a piece of aluminum gutter with a "leaf preventer" on top would work. Pretty cheap.

Or any type of wire grate that was long enough and narrow enough to fit in, say, a drywall mud pan such as something like these.

I usually put a folded piece of paper towel on my drip tray just for the drips so I don't have to clean it out as often. If I have friends over, I'll take it off and expose the drip tray, but it keeps it suprisingly clean as just the few drops get soaked into the paper towel quite readily.

View attachment 593443

I just used the SS mudpan listed here and built a wood holder for it. I left the mud pan loose in the frame so I can take it out and rinse it easily. Works great for me and I think it looks adequate....especially for $14 and some scrap wood/paint.

I've made one from old professional coffee machine drip tray. It's got it absolutely free and I think it good for the purpose.
IMG_5123.JPG

I used a plastic planter box, I think it was about $10.00 Attached to Kegerator with 3M picture hangers(12lb with Velcro)

Attachments

• kegerator.JPG
    kegerator.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 164
To mount it I used L-brackets with these magnets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JHFL89/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The tray can't hold a glass but it at least prevents drips from hitting floor.
I used these magnets, the hooks and hook connector fit the mounting holes perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ2JZON/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005677QZE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

With 3 magnets holding this to the keezer i can put a full pint glass on, no fears of it falling

I used these magnets, the hooks and hook connector fit the mounting holes perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ2JZON/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005677QZE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

With 3 magnets holding this to the keezer i can put a full pint glass on, no fears of it falling

Do you have a pic showing this you could post for us? I'm having a hard time visualizing how this would work, and it may be a more elegant solution for my drip tray than what I'm using.

I routered on ogee edge on a 1x4, stained/lacquered it and mounted it to the face of the keezer with JBWeld epoxy.
IMG_0115.jpg
Then I used 1/2 in. screws to hold the trays. The trays slip on and off for cleaning. I've had four full pints under the taps without any problems. If you do this, be sure to scuff up the face of the keezer where the board mounts so the epoxy will bond.

As a partial explanation as to why they cost what they do...
Years ago i used to work at a sheet metal plant. Steel would arrive in 4x8 sheets (i think) that first had to be but into rectangles on the `shear` machine (each part had it's own specific size it had to be, and of course from a specific guage thickness of steel)
Then those parts would go to a break press (it makes bends in metal) sometimes you could use the same *die (expensive part to make the bend) for 2 bends if they were the same angle bend for the opposite side of the peice assuming it is the same dimentions. I'd say that the drip trays have 2 dies for this. After this is done the edges would have to go to the weld shop to be welded together and the slag grinded off. THEN assuming it is a tray with holes in it, those holes need to be drilled. (this could be bypassed if the company has a plasma/water/lazer cutter- this would also bypass the shear part as well but some companies just dont have these machines) After all of that, the parts would go to plating for chrome/brass/ w/e finishing if they are not SS. A different machine/die would be used for the slotted ones. Now do this x2 if it takes 2 seperate parts. Setting up dies takes a bit of skill and time and companies DO need to pay wages and want to see a profit....let alone shipping from company x to reseller y to you.....
Long story short.... it costs alot because it is supporting a LOT of workers/jobs.

Stainless is expensive but if you use your imagination, you can source materials from other places.
Check your local scrap yard, or look for a restaurant that has closed and is selling off. Sometimes plumbing and heating contractors have useful items laying around

Last edited:
No it doesn't, just feeds thru. Also, normally I have all 3 of the magnets on...but needed one for something temporary

I was just wondering what kept the drip tray from sliding off the horizontal part of the hook.

I suppose I could take a small magnet and stick it on the front side of the drip tray to hold it against the big magnet.....

Why, is your avatar volunteering?
Seriously though, I serve from a Unitank which means the faucet sits at calf height. If I did place a drip tray on the floor I'd just keep stubbing my foot on it. It's easier to just mop it up aftwerwards.

I picked up a 19" x 4" from Bar Products. $16 + shipping. Glued neodymium magnets to the back of the tray and for aesthetics I added the SS hand rail supports underneath that have round magnets to help hold them in place to the keezer. Easy to remove and toss in the dishwasher.

Z9QkL4H.jpg

That’s nice

image.jpg
Bought the tray that HotRod9mm mentions above for $23 and mounted it with 2 $5 shelf brackets attached to some inexpensive magnets from Princess Auto. Here’s a pic with a 5# dumbell on it.

Latest posts

Back