Whose wife out 'hops' them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
My preference tends to be the lighter hopped spectrum of the scale, except a good RIS where other flavours can offer some complexity.

My wife however just goes for IPA's, or overly hopped versions of other styles. Not much else though. Am I in sparse company?

I don't care enough to feel emasculated (which would be pretty sad anyway) and it's too funny anyway to watch 'tough guys' cough and hack when they try her beer :mug: I guess it would be funnier to see, since she isn't even 110lbs.

My girlfriend loves hoppy beers but usually gravitates for the floral/citrus and not to bitter type of IPAs (think Loose Cannon) myself, I love them the stronger and more awesome they are.

I currently have in my possession All-Day IPA, Hop-a-lot-amus, Dirt Wolf, and the Sierra Sampler.

I don't think being a hophead is a genetic male vs female thing.

Different people like different things.

I love IPAs and IIPAs. Some people do, some don't. I know some guys who make the "bitter beer face" when trying a beer I love. I just like what I like.

My wife, an ex WWF wrestler who is 2 inches taller than I, would beat me if I didn't have an IPA or at least a hoppy pale ale on tap. She won't drink anything else, so I, of course, comply.

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

My wife, an ex WWF wrestler who is 2 inches taller than I, would beat me if I didn't have an IPA or at least a hoppy pale ale on tap. She won't drink anything else, so I, of course, comply.

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

Not to threadjack but Ill bite. Who is your wife? Lol

My wife tends towards what are probably considered the stereotypical "girly beers": hefeweizens, witbiers, blonde ales, mostly light and mild stuff. I still have her try new things to see if she'll ever become a hophead like me. So far, Bell's Two-Hearted and a couple other things have been the only in-roads.

On the other hand...a friend of mine and fellow homebrewer isn't especially picky in his taste, but prefers stouts and saisons, while his wife is pretty much all IPAs, all the time.

My wife says IPA is like drinking a bottle of perfume. I don't think she'll ever "out hop" me. And I don't base my "toughness" on IBU tolerance. I'd rather have a lot of hop flavor than a lot of bitter. Stuff like Hopslam, with only 60-70 IBU but enough hop character that you smell it from across the room.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

I out-hop most of the men I know hehe. I don't see it as a big deal, though. I just really like bitter beer.

Back