Who's submitting entries to comp in South Korea? (1st prize = $4200)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you get your entry over there? The mail is illegal and I shutter to think how much UPS or FedEx would charge if you can get them to take it.

How would you get your entry over there? The mail is illegal and I shutter to think how much UPS or FedEx would charge if you can get them to take it.

I was thinking that if we could get 10 or 20 entries to go over there, we could package them altogether and ship in one box. It would be expensive, but if divided among 10 or more people maybe not so bad.

I guess we'd all ship our entries to somebody in California, who would then re-package in a large box. Something like that. Probably not likely to happen.

Following just because why not. I would be interested in submitting an entry or two, and I also live in California, so if people are really into it I could coordinate the shipment; however, with that kind of prize money and no entry fee I really can't believe this is legit?

Following just because why not. I would be interested in submitting an entry or two, and I also live in California, so if people are really into it I could coordinate the shipment; however, with that kind of prize money and no entry fee I really can't believe this is legit?

Looks legit. Check out the sponsor of the contest. In one of the videos you can see them tapping a cask.

https://www.facebook.com/amazingbrewery/

FedEx and UPS are both approaching $200 for a box with just one set of entries, (3 bottles), from PA. I just shipped 10 to CA a couple weeks ago for less than $20. What's it cost from CA to Seoul?

FedEx and UPS are both approaching $200 for a box with just one set of entries, (3 bottles), from PA. I just shipped 10 to CA a couple weeks ago for less than $20. What's it cost from CA to Seoul?

From the other thread on this for UPS rates from LA > Seoul.

12 bottles in a 12x16x10 box at 15# is $253.40 ~ $21.12/bottle
24 bottles in a 24x16x10 box at 30# is $386.20 ~ $16.09/bottle
48 bottles in a 24x32x10 box at 60# is $594.41 ~ $12.38/bottle

I can check FedEx rates tomrrow.

From the other thread on this for UPS rates from LA > Seoul.

12 bottles in a 12x16x10 box at 15# is $253.40 ~ $21.12/bottle
24 bottles in a 24x16x10 box at 30# is $386.20 ~ $16.09/bottle
48 bottles in a 24x32x10 box at 60# is $594.41 ~ $12.38/bottle

I can check FedEx rates tomrrow.
If it helps or I could help, I put your same dimensions and weights into my shipping system I use for my business and got:
(All UPS Worldwide Expedited)

$170
$255
$390

If it helps or I could help, I put your same dimensions and weights into my shipping system I use for my business and got:
(All UPS Worldwide Expedited)

$170
$255
$390

OK, so 48 bottles = 16 entries ( x 3 bottles per entry)

$390 / 16 people = $24 per person to ship their entry to Korea. (Plus cost to ship to the shipping consolidator). So, you could be looking at close to $50 total, but there's no entry fee, so it's not as bad as it seems.

I'm in! Just to gauge interest, let's see if we can get to 16 entries (you'd need to get your entry(s) and shipping cost to the consolidator by ~ Jan 6.

1. passedpawn

I'm in for one based on what I have on tap and could bottle up right now. I was going to brew a saison this weekend, but I might switch it up and go for an IPA and do a 2nd entry if it looks like this thing is actually a go.

1. passedpawn
2. drgonzo2k2

Longtime lurker here and this is my first time posting on this forum.

I'm in as well. This seems really interesting and I liked a lot of what I read about the brewery, their story and what they're doing for beer in that part of the world.

I currently have a bottles of an awesome Belgian IPA ready to go that should be even better by the time these will be tasted. Just not certain which category to enter for that beer. Or I could just brew a saison that is always a big hit with people to enter. Always tough decisions when it comes to what to brew.

1. passedpawn
2. drgonzo2k2
3. bmobley07

OK, so 48 bottles = 16 entries ( x 3 bottles per entry)

$390 / 16 people = $24 per person to ship their entry to Korea. (Plus cost to ship to the shipping consolidator). So, you could be looking at close to $50 total, but there's no entry fee, so it's not as bad as it seems.

I'm in! Just to gauge interest, let's see if we can get to 16 entries (you'd need to get your entry(s) and shipping cost to the consolidator by ~ Jan 6.

One thing we should probably look into is customs form and international shipping of alcohol. I know when using FedEx to legally ship alcohol you have to have a license to sell it, and then fill out the form so they check the person they deliver to is over 21.

Not sure how that works internationally, but I also would not encourage lying on customs forms either.

Who said anything about shipping alcohol? We need some sort of medium to ship viable yeast in, don't we?

It's all in the labeling...

Label it however you wish. But if the worst happens and they discover your "yeast sample" is being preserved in beer they might not come after you, but they might.
I personally don't want to get on any government **** list.

This sparked my interest but it doesnt look like it is going to happen. But I did want to add that to ship international there are lots of carriers that you can use to ship. Such as DHL or worldwide express. A quick search showed 185 from LA using worldwide.

Most airlines will also ship a package for you for about the same rate as a checked bag. You would need to drop off and pick up from the airport but that is another option if you could find soeone to pick it up.

If I can help on the shipping and packaging side let me know. I can do it all from our shipping location in CA I assume I am shipping "yeast samples" or "Nutritional Supplements" of some sorts correct? If I can help facilitate it I am willing to give it a shot and use our shipping volume discounts. When does this need to be done? I didn't get a chance to read all the details but if you guys want me to help please just let me know. Happy to be a part. Ohhh yeah I will be sending a beer as well IF this comes together so might as well put me on the list.

AND just a little side note we ship to Korea all the time.

Cheers
Jay

If I can help on the shipping and packaging side let me know. I can do it all from our shipping location in CA I assume I am shipping "yeast samples" or "Nutritional Supplements" of some sorts correct? If I can help facilitate it I am willing to give it a shot and use our shipping volume discounts. When does this need to be done? I didn't get a chance to read all the details but if you guys want me to help please just let me know. Happy to be a part. Ohhh yeah I will be sending a beer as well IF this comes together so might as well put me on the list.

AND just a little side note we ship to Korea all the time.

Cheers
Jay

You could take a look at posts 10 and 11 in this thread and see what shipping would cost you. If this is going to happen, I'd say $25 per person to ship is about the limit. That limit, and the total shipping cost, sorta sets how many entries we'll need. I'd say we need to have all entries in your hands by Jan 7.

I added your name to the list.

1. passedpawn
2. drgonzo2k2
3. bmobley07
4. Jaybird

Gotcha. Not much time to get them to me. But I am willing to send what I get. If you guys want to start sending me samples now I will keep them and once the cut off date we can revisit how many we have and if you all want to pony up to split the shipping. IF we decide NOT to go forward I will NOT be returning the beer but I will absolutely judge it myself with a couple BJCP judges and give you feedback and just for fun I will send you guys the judging sheets we use. Up to you guys.

1768 Churn Creek rd
Redding CA 96003
C/O Jaybird and Korea comp

Cheers
Jay

and just so you guys know what I will be sending so you know what your up against... It's a
Double chocolate macadamia nut coffee cherry extra imperial french stout aged for 5 years on Parker’s Heritage Collection 2nd Edition 27 Year Old Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey barrel and then infused with angel hair extract. I am bound to win... Baaahhhhaaaa

Cheers
Jay

and just so you guys know what I will be sending so you know what your up against... It's a
Double chocolate macadamia nut coffee cherry extra imperial french stout aged for 5 years on Parker’s Heritage Collection 2nd Edition 27 Year Old Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey barrel and then infused with angel hair extract. I am bound to win... Baaahhhhaaaa

Cheers
Jay

That sounds good!

I tried an angel hair recipe last year and found natural angel hair just didn't come through like I'd hoped. Haven't gotten around to sourcing extract. Let me know how it turns out.

That sounds good!

I tried an angel hair recipe last year and found natural angel hair just didn't come through like I'd hoped. Haven't gotten around to sourcing extract. Let me know how it turns out.

Im sending a German Pils and an IPA (I have a nice foam mailer that holds 6 bottles, so why not). IPA was dryhopped with RCH - from an angel :) .

I'm torn...should I send my Kimchi hopped pale...or my Riced Dog Porter...

Cheers
Jay

Wtf is that stuff lol? This beer sounds epic by the way. Not that you didn't already know that :D

Back