Who's NOT making IPAs and what are you brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ESB, Saison, and Stout are 3 recipes I'm trying to hone in on. The Saison came out so good I'm not going to mess with it but the stout needs some tweaks. ESB still fermenting.

Kentucky Common, Red Rye, and American Wheat are all on the calendar between IPA and Saison brews.

Trappist Single, Grisette, and Lager-type stuff with Kviek is what I have been all about lately. I also have been playing around "Brett Table Beers".

I like to ferment sour beers as well. I went a little crazy on sours over the last few years and need to not brew any for a while. I just have to much sour beer in house right now.

I'm not all in on the new IPA's, though I do enjoy some of the local stuff done well. I went through a little phase of brewing RAW IPA's, that was pretty fun for a while.

I brew IPA's rarely anymore. Maybe one every few months.

I'm big into lagers, so that is primarily what I do. Just brewed a German Pils this past weekend, doing a Rauchbier next weekend to be followed by a Helles. Have a Apricot/Mango Berliner, Doppelbock, English Bitter and an American Pale on tap. I have a Rye Porter on deck.

I don't find myself even wanting IPA's really anymore. Used to be probably 50% or more of all we used to drink. Now, maybe 10-20% tops.

I'd estimate about 25% of what I brew are IPAs - NE, west coast, whatever. I have 4 taps and one is always an IPA. Other than that, i brew all types of ales, lagers and sours. My focus as of late has been brett/mixed ferment beers and clean, crisp lagers. Currently fermenting is a Munich helles and a split batch of saison like beer, one with Nystein kveik and one with Omega C2C. Next handful of beers are: American porter, RIS, APA and ESB.

What if anything have you found helps to get maximum crispness in your lagers?

What if anything have you found helps to get maximum crispness in your lagers?
Just making sure it dries out enough. <1.010. No specialty malts, other than maybe some flaked corn in an American lager or a little melanoidin to simulate a decoction in my helles. Also, I've been using a touch of crystal hops in the last 15 minutes of the boil, seems to help with the impression of crispness in my helles.

I have an "americanized" German pilsner (Prima Pils inspired) I just put on tap. Dortmunder getting ready to move to serving keg today. And, getting ready to fire up the strike water for a Blonde Ale in a few minutes. Probably another couple lagers in the upcoming weeks.... likely another pilsner and probably an Oktoberfest/Vienna lager of some sort pretty soon for fall.

I just can't get into IPAs or pale ales in general, so I have been brewing mainly dark ales. Going to be bottling a english porter recipe this weekend and a brown ale next weekend. I think my next brew will be the Carmel Amber Ale from the recipe forum on this site, it sounds really tasty.

If you haven't already, maybe you should consider reading how to make caramelized invert sugar and using it as an adjunct ingredient. Fascinating chemistry stuff, but easy to pull off at home with a little effort - and it would complement your style.

If you haven't already, maybe you should consider reading how to make caramelized invert sugar and using it as an adjunct ingredient. Fascinating chemistry stuff, but easy to pull off at home with a little effort - and it would complement your style.
Also kettle caramelization would add to this style nicely.

I currently have a Kolsch, a Witbier and a Cream in kegs awaiting CO2. I have an Irish Red conditioning in the keg for another couple weeks at least and plan to do a nice watermelon or cantelop session beer for the girlfriend and I to anjoy around the pool on hot days. Also planning on a Winter beer, probably a porter for Thanksgiving consumption.
PS I never brew IPA, nor do I drink them.

I'm brand new and gearing up for my first brew. I will not be brewing any IPAs. Not my thing. I plan to do an oatmeal stout first from an extract kit to get my feet wet. Brew day will be in two weeks or so.
Should be close to time to crack your first stout... let's hear all about it

Lagering a festbier now. Yooper's oatmeal stout is up next, and then a Belgian dubble for bottling for this winter.

I brewed a fresh squished IPA in March, it was probably the best home brew I ever made.

I'm brewing a Autumn ale, & a Octoberfest lager.
I think I screwed up my lager. I moved it to secondary before it reached final gravity. I've never made a lager before, and didn't realize it was a lager until i was already brewing.

I brew IPA's rarely anymore. Maybe one every few months.

I'm big into lagers, so that is primarily what I do. Just brewed a German Pils this past weekend, doing a Rauchbier next weekend to be followed by a Helles. Have a Apricot/Mango Berliner, Doppelbock, English Bitter and an American Pale on tap. I have a Rye Porter on deck.

I don't find myself even wanting IPA's really anymore. Used to be probably 50% or more of all we used to drink. Now, maybe 10-20% tops.
I just made my first lager. I think I screwed it up. I moved it to secondary after 2 weeks, because it was bubbling over and making a mess. I didn't check my FG. I checked after moving, & its @ 1.03, it should be1.014, my OG was 1.053. Does any one know if it can still drop in the secondary? I'm keeping it @ 45 degrees. Is there any hope?

this might be :off:, but i've gotten lazy, and have just been dumping 10 gals of apple juice in my fermenter recently...(think i already said that in another thread, but what the hell, this one popped up on my radar again)

$34 instead of $8, but, pretty good.

I just made my first lager. I think I screwed it up. I moved it to secondary after 2 weeks, because it was bubbling over and making a mess. I didn't check my FG. I checked after moving, & its @ 1.03, it should be1.014, my OG was 1.053. Does any one know if it can still drop in the secondary? I'm keeping it @ 45 degrees. Is there any hope?

45f is really cold, for a lager even...And i've heard people talk about letting lagers warm up near the end, for diacetyl rest? and lagers take a long time to ferment, and look up blow off tubes...

edit: and just to be safe, what was the mash temp?

Last edited:
Last weekend brewed a Rauchbier and a Munich Dunkel. Lagering a Pils and a Festbier. Serving a pale ale.
No IPAs in sight here!
Next brewday will be a big batch of Sauergut and a braggot.

Extra wee heavy in the fermenter right now, another tripel and an imperial stout next on the lineup. Procuring supplies for a pale rye ale after that.

I never brew ipa and I might only drink 1-2 a year . I almost exclusively brew lagers . Right now I have a pre prohibition American Pilsner going . I brew a lot of Pilsner these days.

Lager, lager, lager, lager. At one time I realized I'd gone 8 years brewing only pale lagers (Pilsner, pre prohibition, Helles, Export, standard American...) with the sole exception of one year when I actually remembered to brew a Märzen on time. Last year I tried to shake myself up by going back to the dark milds and best bitters that were my stomping ground 20-30 years ago. Then I went right back to lager lager lager. Trying to balance the lager styles a bit more, not just pale. But that's my happy place. (Currently drinking an international pale with corn. Brewed a Festbier last weekend, Märzen this coming weekend, Country Helles and Dunkel on deck and in the hole.)

Just did a scotch ale last night, and will need to swap the growler that I have the blow off going into tonight before it bubbles out all over the place.
I have a starter going for a Belgian strong this weekend. After that will be a tune up run of my xmas ale to make sure the system is dialed in. Then a RIS that I do a second sparge on to get a nice brown ale out of.
After that, 3-5 batches of x-mass ale for holidays (I missed last year, so demand might be high).
I have alot of other brews that I want to do as well, but just haven't worked out the brew schedule yet.

This year I decided that it was going to be the year of Saisons. So far I've made a traditional saison with rye, a dry hopped saison, and a saison using Rakau hops. All have come in at over 8%, but fermented so dry that they don't seem that heavy. But I couldn't help but make my NEIPA which is quite refreshing on a hot summer day.

Going thru some domestic wars right now, no access. It's Fred Bonjours recipe in the Hombrewing All Stars book. Kilt Lifter Scotch wedding beer. OG 1.133, ABV 12%, I Think the FG is about 1.045.
16 lbs Maris Otter, 1 pound crystal 20L, 1 pound crystal 60L, 1 pound caravienne, 6 pounds Munich , 4 oz Rauch malt. Don't quote me on this, this is from memory. Decoction mash, 40 minutes at 150, decoct 5 quarts and boil, 40 minutes at 165.
Mind sharing that recipe sometime?

Last edited:
I did my first brew yesterday! I made a spiced holiday ale so that it had time to age before the holidays. It went pretty well, I think. My OG was a hair below my target and due to some clumsiness on my part, I ended up 1/2 gallon short on yield, but smooth process for the most part.

Munich Dunkel right now. Can't wait to try it... Haven't had this style (an old favorite) since my trip to Germany when I was 16...

How are you checking your FG? Refractometer or Hydrometer?

After two weeks, that beer should have been at FG. Mine typically just take 4-5 days until I spund them, or about 6-7 days to FG. I ferment mine at 48F.

In the secondary, it can still drop, but if it's off the yeast cake it will go even slower. Just pull a sample and see where it's at.

I have just made a clone of Timothy Taylors Landlord which is a British ESB. Turned out very nice. Got it hooked up to my beer engine so pours just like it would in a bar back home in England.

I don't like hops, so I am brewing gruits. right now a berry gruit, raspberry and black currants. Using Amber Malt DME for a big malty taste. Should end up about 6.5ABV. I am bittering with a little wormwood mixed with herbal tea.

Back