Who's NOT making IPAs and what are you brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American Wheat soon based off of Oberon and have an American-Belgian Pale Ale on deck. Still working through a Czech Pale Lager that I brewed over the winter.

What are you brewing, that's not an IPA?

I'm brewing an American Wheat soon based off of Oberon and have an American-Belgian Pale Ale on deck. Still working through a Czech Pale Lager that I brewed over the winter.

in over a dozen batches I've never brewed an IPA once...I came close with an Organic Tangelo Pale Ale ,kind of a save . I had bought a prebagged grain kit that was labeled wrong and the grain was actually for a pale ale rather than what I wanted...so I made due.

but , ive brewed -
2 Hefeweizen's
a Blue Moon'ish clone.
American Honey Brown Ale
Old Ale
Oatmeal Stout
Toasted coconut chocolate coffee porter
Maerzen/Oktoberfest
GF white ale
and currently in my fermenter finishing up is a watermelon gose (Green Zebra clone?)for my sons housewarming.

I have a dry Irish stout fermenting and a Wai-iti pilsner smash fermenting and on tap currently a strawberry wheat, a pale ale, a vanilla porter, chocolate milk stout and a honey ale

Basic wheat beer a month or so ago, and currently have a gose sitting on some fruit. Planning a dunkel and another sour in the future. Maybe a Scotch Ale down the road too.

Recent non-IPA's: ESB, Grisette, Kolsch with a Gose on deck to replace the Grisette

Last edited:
I just brewed a classic North German Pils.
88% Pils Malt
10% Munich Malt
2% CaraHell
Single addition of Tettnanger at 50 min to 37 IBU.

This coming weekend, doing a simple Kellerbier of 50/50 Pils/Munich (Kellerbiers are kinda my thing, but don't get me started on them, like pointing out that the BYO recipe of "Caveman Kellerbier" is nowhere near what they style really is).

Next month a Festbier.

So yeah, I only brew 1-2 IPAs a year out of 15-20 batches. Probably 60-70% are classic German Lagers (Pils, Dunkel, Helles, Kellerbier, Festbier, Altbier, Vienna Lagers, etc).

This is good to see, not that I don't enjoy IPAs and have brewed a fair amount in my years as a homebrewer. I'm recently starting to now move back to some standard beers that at one time lined the taps at a local brewpub before the IPA explosion - ESB's, Bitters, Brown Ales, Dry Stouts, Belgian Influenced beers, blond ales, etc.

What's also great is no one is buying the hops that work well in these beers, last fall I picked up a couple pounds of Sterling and Crystal fairly cheap. I'm going to add a couple of of those old hop varieties in again this year, it really forces you to be creative.

So yeah, I only brew 1-2 IPAs a year out of 15-20 batches. Probably 60-70% are classic German Lagers (Pils, Dunkel, Helles, Kellerbier, Festbier, Altbier, Vienna Lagers, etc).

Every year I say I'm going to brew more lagers but never get around to it - I generally get one pushed out during winter. I only have 3 cornies, so a lager will tie one up for a couple months. This year's czech pale lager I brewed came out fantastic. The Omega Bayern Lager strain is super easy to brew with and worked out great (I like to brew seasonally without temp control). I'll certainly snag that yeast again.

Sours, Saisons (dark, light, plain and funky), pale ales, will be looking into Belgians more this year, Belgian Blonde and Patersbier for the summer. Looking at brewing up a wine/beer sour hybrid in the near future as well.

Brewing a dark mild right now. Next three will be a best bitter, an imperial stout and another mild. Brewed but not yet bottled I have one I've just labeled beer (made from what I had around, an american amber perhaps?), a rye beer, a blonde a wheat IPA (which is probably disqualified from this thread) and a strong brown ale that might be best described as a brown IPA, I'm not sure.

But mostly non-IPA, without really trying. I like IPAs but like other styles as much, so they are an appropriate fraction of what I brew. Actually, given how easy it is to buy really good IPAs around here, certainly compared to British styles, I'm planning to concentrate mostly on British ones for a while.

Every year I say I'm going to brew more lagers but never get around to it - I generally get one pushed out during winter. I only have 3 cornies, so a lager will tie one up for a couple months. This year's czech pale lager I brewed came out fantastic. The Omega Bayern Lager strain is super easy to brew with and worked out great (I like to brew seasonally without temp control). I'll certainly snag that yeast again.
Use mangrove Jack California lager and treat it like an ale. No low temperatures and lagering required, did it often myself, really works. As clean as it can be.

I haven't brewed an IPA in many years. My wife and friends love a cream ale that I brew and I have to brew it often to keep up with their demand. For myself I make Porters, Stouts and an occasional strong Scotch Ale or Barleywine.

I’ll be brewing my first ever ipa in July to bring to my football draft in August. I’ve brewed a couple pale ales though, I guess, but not to an ipa level. Otherwise I’ve made ambers (hoppier and otherwise), honey brown, kolsch (2nd one is fermenting), red ales, a few lightly hopped blondes, and a whole bunch of learning experiments.
I’m a bit excited to try an ipa though. I know it’ll be way better fresh, so the draft gives me the opportunity to unload most of it at once, instead of having two sizes bottles slowly (and not so slowly) losing their flavors. Plus I need to use up some hops and grains do I don’t feel guilty buying more...

I have only ever brewed one ipa recipe and it was a NEIPA, so not even the same. I'm just not a fan. I currently have quite a variety. 2 ciders, one natural and one spiced. 2 blondes, one centennial and one Jalepenio. Orange kolsch, milk and honey pale ale, milk stout, blueberry berliner weisse and a gose. I am brewing my first light lager this weekend.

I brew all types of beers. Two that I have done several close variations of are a Brown ale and a Pale Ale 7 times for the Brown slightly different each time except one and 5 times for the pale ale. I am trying to get that one just right. But I have to admit... Next one up will be an IPA.

Currently fermenting:

First ever Weizen Beer, a Dopplebock, and a Helles Lager.

In bottles I have Vienna Lager, a Helles Export made with US-05, and an experimental all malt no hops ginger beer.

I've ground the malt to make a Marzen. It will be started either today or tomorrow.

I'm not a big fan of IPAs. I will order or purchase one from time to time.

I haven’t brewed an IPA since the 90(s). I have a range of styles I brew instead. Here’s my brew list for the rest of the year: a few Pale Ales sprinkled amongst a Pre-Prohibition, 80/-, Alt, Bock, Vienna, Schwarzbier, etc...

Attachments

• 64E83629-CC12-42C8-A52D-EBFC93BCA4D7.png
    64E83629-CC12-42C8-A52D-EBFC93BCA4D7.png
    248 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Caveat: I almost always have a hoppy something on hand. BUT, most of my brews (12 a year) are not ipas. Lots of Belgian: always a saison on hand, Tripel and quadrupel, RIS once a year, something wheaty in the summer.

I've got two saisons and a Munich helles on tap right now and a Belgian dubbel ready to keg. I'm planning an IPA for my next brew, though. :)

I have a RIS, loosely based on KBS, in primary. It'll be moved over to secondary soon to sit on bourbon and wood chips. I have my mango blonde ale kegged that will be tapped this weekend.
Do you mind sharing the recipe? I've been wanting to do something like that for the winter.

(Full disclosure, probably 40+ of my 55 batches thus far have been IPAs.)

I just tapped a helles. I'm going to be doing a grodziskie soon. Before that it was bohemian pils, alt, oktoberfest, belgian golden ale. I like IPAs and am going to do one soon but so many breweries do a good job with IPAs that it's hard to justify the effort. Something like a good alt or bohemian pils are so much harder to find.

This made me curious, so I looked more thoroughly at what I've brewed. I was actually surprised at how many IPA's I've done. I'd have guessed a lower number.

IPA 19
stout/porter 18
amber or brown 21
pale ale 6
light lager/ale 15
red 8
belgian or saison 8
pumpkin 4
wheat 7
other 4

Do you mind sharing the recipe? I've been wanting to do something like that for the winter.

(Full disclosure, probably 40+ of my 55 batches thus far have been IPAs.)
Reason why I say loosely based: we have so many hops in the freezer, that I refuse to buy any unless there is no substitute. I also brew 2.5 gallon batches, so this is my scaled down recipe, based on this link: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/kentucky-breakfast-stout/

7.5 pounds Pilsner
.75 pounds flaked oats
.5 pounds chocolate malt
.25 pounds roasted barley
.125 pounds crystal 10

I did an overnight mash at 155°, because time wise, it's what worked for me.

My hop schedule was:

.6 oz magnum at 60 minutes (all I had left)
.4 oz ekg (all i had left) plus .15 oz northern brewer at 25 minutes
1.33 oz fuggles at 5 minutes

Also added 1.25 oz bittersweet chocolate and .75 oz cacao nibs at 15 minutes with the 1/2 whirlfloc tab. At flameout, I added 1 oz of ground coffee. I made a starter with 007 yeast. It was in the cooler bag for about 2 weeks at around 67°.

I'll be soaking the oak chips in bourbon tomorrow to add to secondary this weekend. I'll also be making aome cold brew to add, per the recipe. I'm not going to be able to condition it as cold as the recipe calls for, but I think it'll still make good beer.

OG 1.101. FG adjusted for alcohol 1.027. 9.47%, before the bourbon.

I'm not at the farm so I don't have access to my brewing notes. It occurs to me, though, that in almost 8 years of brewing and almost 100 batches, I’ve only brewed an actual IPA twice.

I currently have a Dunkelweizen on tap, a Pale Ale cold crashing, and a Cream Ale in primary. Those are pretty typical of my usual rotation.

That said, I brew Pale Ales fairly often, and what I consider a pale might be someone else’s IPA. Shrug.

Got two all grain brews organized on the side ready to go, but don't have the particular yeast for them yet. One is a Vienna/amber lager grist, the other is a German-style dampfbier recipe.
I don't brew or drink IPA styles. Ever.

I brew a few types, more than 60% lagers, no IPAs this decade.

Been brewing a lot of what might be called CAPs or pre prohibition lagers, but trying different malt and hop levels, and old style grain and malted grain adjuncts, use malted rye most but also wheat, flaked corn, and even flaked rice.

Also mostly regular pilsners, sometimes a Vienna or may stray into marzen territory.

Some of the newer hops with citrus have worked their way into some of the lagers.

Just making beer I like and trying to get better at it.

Cellar up above lager fermentation temp so just pitched first ale of season, my first saison.

Last summer was using mainly US-05 and making what might be called cream ales, sort of, but would be a bit much for a Genesee fan.

This is discrimination... [emoji12] I love IPA’s [emoji12]
I recently brewed an Imperial stout and plan to brew a barleywine then a session of some type.

Well, IPA is dry hopping at the moment... But next up is my stand-by, fan-favorite porter recipe. Then Lawnmower/Cream Ale is up, then its lager time.

Last edited:
i currently have a NEpale ale and a saison on tap, on deck i have an ESB, saison split batch just to see how it turns out, after that an altbier, i don’t think i have ever brewed an actual ipa and don’t really plan on it either lol

Back