Who's made a kegerator from a deep-freezer with a wooden collar ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Who's made a kegerator out of a deep freezer with a wooden collar ?

I think I've seen pics in BierMuncher's gallery similar to what I want to build.

Anyone else made their kegerator this way and have some pics or advice to share ?

I want to start building one maybe middle of Janurary after all my xmas stuff is paid for.

Yup, 7 cu ft freezer from HD. Fits 4 cornies plus one carboy.
8361-keezer.jpg

here is my 3 tapper going to upgrade to around 5 taps next year! it has 4 kegs in it right now, and a 4 regulator manifold to handle the gas. its pretty much finished. future upgrades include a 1/2 barrel of Nasty light or whatever i want lol. and a drip tray

Picture048-1.jpg

Picture047-1.jpg

for some reason, maybe that I'm a glutton for punishment, I want to dovetail the corners of the boards when I do the collar. Or maybe that's just my escuse for putting it off!

I notice that some people attach the collar to the freezer with the lid on top, other people attach the collar to the lid so that the collar opens too.

I kind of like the look of blefford's - thats sort of what I want, because I want to be able to lager in it during the summer or even put a full commercial keg in there sometime too.

Damn, these look really nice guys!

I'm soon to convert a stand up fridge..but I may take advantage of a friends spare freezer-chest..

I'm curious why people make the collars for the chest freezers? I have a freezer with 6 kegs and a tower tap but never understood why make a collar. I'll put some pics of mine up later tonight.

Is it a height problem? or just the look?

I don't like the idea of a tower. It allows the lines to warm a bit too much requiring a fan for cooling to be useful. It also makes it so you can't put it near a wall and still open the top. The collar gives you an easy place to mount faucets and penatrate the CO2 gas lines for external tanks.

I built mine with a collar and the taps on the side, mainly because I run some of the lines over from the conditioning cabinet for brews that I want to serve at cellar temperatures. I also blow air from the keezer into the cabinet for temperature control. I've pre-drilled the collar for two more taps.

2113-img_1415.jpg

Mine's kinda ghetto.
brewsculpture006.jpg

I had to rig the guard to keep from leaning on the cheapo picnic taps.Yea,most of my junk is ugly. Cheers

Mutilated1 said:
Who's made a kegerator out of a deep freezer with a wooden collar ?

I think I've seen pics in BierMuncher's gallery similar to what I want to build.

Anyone else made their kegerator this way and have some pics or advice to share ?

I want to start building one maybe middle of Janurary after all my xmas stuff is paid for.

I love the collar. I have my lid open a lot to get in and clean, switch lines, bleed pressure etc…

With the lid open, I can still have access to the taps. With a tower, once the lid is opened, taps-be-gone. Plus, mine is pushed tightly against the wall and no way I’m opening that thing wtih a tower.

I like David_42’s idea of taps on the side wall.

I moved mine close together off to the right so I wouldn’t be bumping them all the time getting kegs in and out. Plus, I was able to install a simple 14" drip tray to cover all the taps.

I’d strongly recommend you clear-caulk all the inside joints of the freezer. Those things are meant to be frozen…not chilled and as a result, a lot of condensation is not unusual.
Freezer_WTaps.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_5.JPG

Oh yeah...this was my 4,000th post.

Latest posts

Back