Who's Fuggles Suffered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
Has anyones fuggles not produced like they had hoped? I have some flowers but not as many as I would have liked. Probably somewhere between .5 and 1#.

Anyone else in the northeast seem to find that too?

- WW

I've got some wild fuggles that didn't yeild too much. About 6 or 7 years ago, my brother planted a hop plant that with much care ended up dieing anyway. Couple years later, we see wild hops growing about 100 feet away from the original plant. This is the first year that I've even really considering harvesting, but it's still not a whole lot.

My fuggles did the best of all my first year plants. Granted I got 12 ounces of dried hops from 3 plants, but did better than my cascade, williamette, Goldings (which got eaten by beetles) and nugget

Mine didn't do jack squat and they are 6 years old. Next year, I'm digging up the crown and selling it on ebay. I don't even use fuggle hops.

My second year Fuggle was an utter failure this year. Early aggressive growth made way to disease and a Japanese Beetle infestation. I got one cone.

Contrast that to nearly 4 oz of dry cascade off of two first year plants.

My fuggles was my only surviving first year rhizome. It's about 14' tall and has a decent amount of cones. I think it would have done better had I kept thinning all of the growth at the bottom.

Both of my fuggles festered, but my cascade and magnum...WOW. I haven't dry weighed the packs but I have filled a gallon pail 4 times from the two cascade and there are still cones and burrs. The magnums almost filled 2 gallon pails.

EDIT: My dry weight on cascade so far is 21oz. from 2 plants and 5oz of Magnum from 2 plants.

Back