Who's Brewing this Weekend: Oct 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheesefood said:
Going to Chef Paul's without the SNIZZLE crew? <Sniff> ...
Yep! Going to O'fest in Naperville, then to the Chef's place. With this warm weather, it just doesn't seem like O'fest time. The leaves have barely started turning!:(

Go with the Sorachiweissen! I have some Sorachi hops that I have yet to use!

DeathBrewer said:
this weekend i'm supposed to help a friend make a pale ale...he wants an "anchor steam" style (which isn't really a pale ale IMO)...but we have to do it as an ale (i'm not using lager yeasts at possible 70+ temperatures). I'm thinking more anchor liberty style.

We're going to use northern brewer hops and some homegrown cascade ;)

this will be the 2nd of 3 brews for this years desert trip...all with these homegrown hops:

Coffee Porter: Fuggle, Cascade, Hallertau
Pale Ale: Cascade
Dunkel-Weisse: Hallertau

nummy :)
I did the Anchor Steam Clone (ale) a few weeks back. Shaping up very nicely. I de-alcoholled one of the five gallon kegs. Tastes very very close to the real thing. Love thoe NB Hops.

Rhoobarb said:
At least tomorrow I'm going to an annual Oktoberfest nearby and a German restaurant with a killer beer menu for dinner afterwards!

And i thought MY local german restaurant had a good beer menu! You got me beat! I have to say, tho, the franziskaner on tap there is probably the best hefeweizen i've ever tasted. i think it even beats my bavarian weisse-bier :eek:

BierMuncher said:
I did the Anchor Steam Clone (ale) a few weeks back. Shaping up very nicely. I de-alcoholled one of the five gallon kegs. Tastes very very close to the real thing. Love thoe NB Hops.

which one did you do?? i found like 8 clones online...BYO has 2 or 3 of them :cross: i read somewhere that NB is the only stuff anchor uses...

DeathBrewer said:
... the franziskaner on tap there is probably the best hefeweizen i've ever tasted. ...

Yeah, I'll probably have one of those, too! I've had it in bottles and loved it, so I'd really like to try a Franzi on tap!

DeathBrewer said:
...which one did you do?? i found like 8 clones online...BYO has 2 or 3 of them :cross: i read somewhere that NB is the only stuff anchor uses...

I used the BYO "Top Clones" recipe:

21.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.3 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.7 %

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (40 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (20 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (0 min) Hops

Scale back for a 5-gallon batch.
I used SafAle - 05 and boy, it tastes very good.

Mines on the right:

Anchor_Pour.jpg

awesome...thanks for the tips. we will either use the safale-05 or White labs California V yeast. i'm going to do a very similiar recipe, but as a PM and with some of the homegrown hops, of course. nice clone! :mug:

:rockin:

Making a starter as I type. Going to give an oatmeal stout a try this weekend.

I only just bottled/kegged my first batch on Monday with my second brew going to secondary tuesday. Now brewing third batch this weekend........am I getting ahead of myself?lol

small batch for me - a spiced ale for our Spiced Beer challenge due in Nov

seefresh said:
Went ahead and got a head start. My Bavarian Hefeweizen is chilling now. In preparation of a big brew weekend, gotta fill the empty fermenters. Haven't decided what yet. I have a English Ale yeast and a Belgian Abbey II. Think I might join Evan with a tripel and have no clue what to do with the English. Maybe a ESB? Never even drank and ESB before.

Hefe chillin:

5lb german wheat
3lb german pils
2lb munich 10l

hallertauer .75oz 45min
hallertauer .25oz 15min

EDIT: Actually it's the wyeast weihenstaphen hefe

"Maybe a ESB? Never even drank and ESB before."

Try a Fullers ESB:rockin: and you'll want it not the pumpkin beer:mug:

BierMuncher said:
I used the BYO "Top Clones" recipe:

21.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.3 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.7 %

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (40 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (20 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (0 min) Hops

Scale back for a 5-gallon batch.
I used SafAle - 05 and boy, it tastes very good.

Mines on the right:

View attachment 2856
$1.69!!!!!!!??????

Damn! I pay over 3 bones for that!

wow, that's rough. i pay $8 a six-pack. i'm going to visit the brewery this winter :)

bought all my supplies for the Anchor (~liberty) clone. making a starter tonight!

:rockin:

No brewing for me this weekend. I have apfelwein and a pumpkin ale that needs to be bottled. So I get to spend Saturday scrubbing bottles....Man, I need to get into kegging!!!!

Brewing my second batch of Belgian Wit. Good thing too, as this freaky warm weather continues to persist. It's going to be 85F here today (Atlanta)!
I was so looking forward to a nice cool autumn day, hanging outside with the brew going and the TV showing college football! Oh well, I just need to get on out there and get the mash going so I can wrap up before it gets too warm.

A couple of changes to my wit from my first batch (which was pretty well received by the masses.)

I did a 4 oz mash on Thursday that I've been letting go sour. It stinks to high heaven now, so I'll just dump it into the Mash Tun with the other malt to get that nice twang in my finished Wit. Last time I cheated and just added 5 mls of Lactic Acid at the end.

The other change is that I'm not putting any spices at all in the boil. I'm going to do a bunch of potions once it's out of secondary to find the perfect mix of secret spices.

Well, I'm off to get my steel-cut oats cooked up. Happy brewing all!

Getting ready to start the sparge on my final version of Wizard ale....
20lb pale
3 Carastan 30/37
2lb Munich
1oz Simcoe FW
1oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Amiarillo 30
.5 oz Amarillo 15
.5 oz Amarillo 10
.5 oz Amarillo 5
1oz Amarillo Dry hop

This is an awesome beer

Nothing for me. I've got two fermenting and need to leave the bottling bucket free because I'll be giving half of the Drainage Ditch batch away. Need to get a Spiced ale going soon.

Well, about to crush my grains, just weighed em out. A hefty 14lbs of grain on this one:

11lb pils
1lb wheat
1lb munich
.66 biscuit
.33 caravienne

Was .33 biscuit .33 aromatic, but just went to the closet and couldn't find my aromatic.

Crushing with a corona, gonna be about 30 or 40 minutes til I'm done :p

I'm running outa beer....

Gotta bottle my Brown Ale. Then try to start one of three batches I have geared up.

What will it be???? Hmm....

• Belated Octoberfest Cream Ale
  • ESB
  • Raspberry Porter

Prolly the Octoberfest Cream Ale.

Schlenkerla said:
I'm running outa beer....

Gotta bottle my Brown Ale. Then try to start one of three batches I have geared up.

What will it be???? Hmm....

• Belated Octoberfest Cream Ale
  • ESB
  • Raspberry Porter

Prolly the Octoberfest Cream Ale.

Obviously the belated october fest.

Just finished up the Christmas Ale. It's a big boy maybe 7.5 - 8%

5 gal in carboy

14lbs MO
1 lb 80L
.5 120L
.5 Victory
.25 BP
1oz Nugget
Spices: Cinn, ginger, Allspice, Nutmeg
London ale starter

finished up with a 1.075 which was a tad higher then target. Ferm at 60
Might have to make another batch becuse history tells me that these willbe gone by Thanksgiving.

Dgriff said:
Just finished up the Christmas Ale. It's a big boy maybe 7.5 - 8%

5 gal in carboy

14lbs MO
1 lb 80L
.5 120L
.5 Victory
.25 BP
1oz Nugget
Spices: Cinn, ginger, Allspice, Nutmeg
London ale starter

finished up with a 1.075 which was a tad higher then target. Ferm at 60
Might have to make another batch becuse history tells me that these willbe gone by Thanksgiving.

Mine's gonna be a biggen too, I"m adding 1.5lb's of candi sugar. Should be around 8.5 if I can hit 75% effic. My mash temp is SPOT ON! Right at 150.7, so should be good. Nice long, 75 minute mash too, so got some down time to clean and prepare for th eboil.

Got my mash water heating right now.

Otis Campbell's Jailhouse Amber
American Amber Ale

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.0 % (Late addition)
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
1.00 oz Cascade [6.90%] (30 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.90%] (20 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00%] (65 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00%] (40 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
6.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Bitterness: 47.2 IBU Est Color: 14.5 SRM Color: Color

This is kind of my house brew, basicly my own version of Rogue's American Amber. It's been a crowd pleaser and is continually in short supply

BierMuncher's RedHook ESB Clone and EdWort's Haus Pale Ale are on the roster for this weekend.

I was so pumped last night (and a slight buzz from some decent commercial brews) that I was about to pull an Evan! and just say **** it and brew a Pale Ale or another IPA as my first true AG.

Then I snapped back to reality and realized my LHBS isn't open on Sundays. Poop.

Just watching the gravity s-l-o-w-l-y slide on the current batches. The wild hop beer is down to 1.004 and still tastes sweet!

Haha, "Pull an Evan!". Nice.

Yesterday, my wife tried to give me sh*t by telling me that this was an obsession. I countered: exactly, what's your point?

Yeah, my Cappuccino Stout is chugging along nicely at 66f. I love shining my surefire on the wort while it's churning...it's hypnotic.

Mashing now, decided to go with a pumpkin ale. I love pumpkin beer so much and it is the season, soooooo. This is probably my last for a while, it will give me a total of 40gals of beer in fermenters or kegs, none even tasted yet. I decided to change up my last pumpkin recipe, this one is pretty different:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Pumpkintastrophe II
Brewer: Christopher John Flannagan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Spice, Herb, Vegetable Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 18.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.98 %
0.60 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.16 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.30 %
0.33 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.84 %
0.20 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.72 %
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.30 oz Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter Yeast-Ale

1 cookie sheet worth of carved pumpkin, toasted at 325 for 30 minutes, added to mash.

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.63 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.54 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.14 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

I have a pumpkin brew cooking up right now and it smells great!

SWMBO and i just finished up an impromptu brew session.Heading out of town for work for 2 weeks and had some empty fermentorsand cornies.We brewed a 12 g batch of an APA from an original recipe.Keepin the pipeline full!!
Cheers:mug:

Finished my pumpkin ale and it smells great, but I ended up with wayyyy more than I calculated for. Luckily I hit 83+ efficiency, so it'll still be a good beer.

Just got back in town from a reunion tonight.

HOWEVER...Friday night I broke my land speed record by brewing 10-gallons of my Gold Rush Ale in 4 hours, 2 minutes...

Orfy inspired me with his 3.5 hour brew.

Just moved the Old Speckled Hen into kegs. Man that is going to be good.

Just finished brewing an all-grain Sam Adam's Boston Ale Clone from AHS...Hit all my numbers on the money thanks to Brewsmith and my new Barley Crusher. Finally, 76% eff. as opposed to crappy 62% with LHBS crush. Life is good!:rockin:

I brewed Beertool's Ruination Clone Partial Mash today. Its sitting in the fermentor now chugging away. I mashed 8 pounds of grain, so I think its time to go back and try another AG next weekend. My keggle is nearly done. I need to alter the siphon line inside to get all the wort goodness out to the fermentor when the boil is done!

Greg

I brewed a chocolate porter today and a batch of apfelwein (with cranberry). Tomorrow it will be an english brown ale.

I finally went ahead and did a double batch brew today, a Gruit and an IPA, and I'm happy to say that I got both batches done and cleaned up in under 9 hours.

There were a few "a-ha" moments when I figured out where I should overlap and do double duty and a few where I shouldn't have been trying to do so much at one time, however, overall it was a success.

I'm not sure I'll be doing this again any time soon, but now I know that it can be done and what the overall, top end time can be. It was worth it.

Both my Gruit and my IPA are chugging along happily now.

:cross:

Back