Whole apples for cyser???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi there,

All of the cyser recipes I see listed utilize apple cider...Is there a reason for this? Would using whole apples be equally acceptable?

If using whole apples, what would be your typical range of #/Gallon ratio be?
Cider is expensive...if required, what is the minimum ratio of Cider/Gallon for decent flavor?

Thanks,

Delaney.

You could certainly use fresh apples, I think most people resort to cider/juice because it's just that much easier. I think if you have access to a fruit press that's the best way for the whole apples. If not you could smash them and just use the crushed fruit with the honey, water and yeast.

It typically takes 14-16 pounds of apples to yield one gallon of pressed, or juicer extracted, sweet cider. Not sure where you live, but unless you have access to free apples, you can buy the cider, or juice, for far less than the apples themselves.

Apple pressing season *just* ended. You can probably find tons of inexpensive cider from your local farmers market.

You don't have to use expensive, fresh pressed sweet cider, you can use plain old, ordinary apple juice you buy at the grocery store. I've made cyser with walmart juice & it turned just fine. The juice is about $2 or $2.50/gallon.
Regards, GF.

I bought apples, diced them into very small pieces, and froze them....most of the fermentables will be coming from honey, not apple, so there will just be a hint of apple?...

Back