Who wants to help me design a late autumn brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSack

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am brand new here, so just throwing this out there. I just acquired everything I need to start with some all-grain brewing. I could follow a recipe online, but that is boring, so let's design a late autumn beer.

I am a huge fan of farmhouse ales and I think that a late autumn, colder weather saison/farmhouse would be delicious. So could we craft a recipe together? I am completely open to suggestions, but I would like to practice some mild dry-hopping for this batch, so a spicy (or otherwise) dry-hop addition would be my suggestion.

Thank you brew crew.

Hi guys, I am brand new here, so just throwing this out there. I just acquired everything I need to start with some all-grain brewing. I could follow a recipe online, but that is boring, so let's design a late autumn beer.

I am a huge fan of farmhouse ales and I think that a late autumn, colder weather saison/farmhouse would be delicious. So could we craft a recipe together? I am completely open to suggestions, but I would like to practice some mild dry-hopping for this batch, so a spicy (or otherwise) dry-hop addition would be my suggestion.

Thank you brew crew.

How were you thinking of setting the cold weather saison apart from a more traditional one? Not that there's ever a bad time of year for a great brew! Just curious as to what direction you wanted to start in to give it an autumn/winter vibe.

I love a good saison and would be happy to help!

I was looking for something a bit bigger. Maybe darker, like an Oktoberfest base or something. I just think of all the great Spring/Summer saisons and I think something a little different would be awesome here. As I said, I am both new and open to suggestions!

I was looking for something a bit bigger. Maybe darker, like an Oktoberfest base or something. I just think of all the great Spring/Summer saisons and I think something a little different would be awesome here. As I said, I am both new and open to suggestions!

I might try to use a Belgian Dark Strong Ale then as a base of sorts. Start off with something close to a Chimay Blue and modify it to have a different flair.

Weizenbocks, brown ales, and porters come to my mind when I think late autumn beers. Might be interesting to try one of those grist as a base.

Weizenbocks, brown ales, and porters come to my mind when I think late autumn beers. Might be interesting to try one of those grist as a base.

I did a very simple patersbier style ale that's really good. It had some extras at the end (orange peel, coriander, lemongrass), so overall it is caramelly, a little fruity, and really smooth. It goes well with food and seems like a good fall beer.

I usually do grain, but did this as extract to make it a faster brew day. It's Briess Golden Light, some caramel 10, and some D-45 candi syrup. American Saaz at 60 & 15. And I used harvested Ommegang yeast, fermented cool.

Id say biere de garde, but that wouldnt be ready until spring.

How about a dekonnick like beer? the yeast is seasonal in nov/dec, and I love them on cool rainy winter days. This is my interpretation of belgian pale ale like dekonnick:

40% continental pils (I use weyerman bohemian pils)
40% MFB Special Aromatic (if unavailalble, sub vienna)
17.5% Munich 8-10L (I use weyerman bohemian dark)
2.5% CaraAroma or Special B.

Mash at 152-153

27 IBU total. Use low cohumolone hops for bittering (warrior, perle, something noble)
Add 1.5 -2 oz of saaz at 1 min left to go in the boil. (you could use Sterling or santiam as well if you want domestic)

Ferment with wlp515 @ 60-62. After fermentation is complete, keg and give 4 weeks of cold conditioning if you can.

Back