Who uses an Stand Up Freezer for Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_0602

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Setup is very simple, plug the fridge and the heater in to the controller and adjust your settings accordingly.

I didn't want to drill my freezer, so the temp probe and heater cord are taped tight to the freezer at the wall. Some air gets through, although not bad, it's only an issue when I try to hold close to freezing (the coils start to ice up).

I place the heater on the floor of the freezer and fermentor on the shelf above the heater.

Haven't gotten a thermowell yet, so I tape the temp probe to the side of the bucket or conical and it's reasonably accurate.

Setup is very simple, plug the fridge and the heater in to the controller and adjust your settings accordingly.

I didn't want to drill my freezer, so the temp probe and heater cord are taped tight to the freezer at the wall. Some air gets through, although not bad, it's only an issue when I try to hold close to freezing (the coils start to ice up).

I place the heater on the floor of the freezer and fermentor on the shelf above the heater.

Haven't gotten a thermowell yet, so I tape the temp probe to the side of the bucket or conical and it's reasonably accurate.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you have your probe from the controller taped on the outside of your Freezer? Sorry if I'm way off. Im a picture guy. haha.

The probe is taped to the bucket or conical inside of the freezer about half way up (so there' liquid on the other side), the tape helps make a barrier from air, so it's more accurately reading the temperature of the wort/beer inside of the vessel. If you got a thermowell and put the probe within it, that would be even more accurate.

The controller sits outside the freezer, the location can be wherever the cords reach and is convenient.

Also, I am not familiar with your particular controller, although you'll want to set it up, so it doesn't turn on too often, I set mine so the minimum frequency it's allowed to turn on is every 15 minutes, this keeps you from burning out your compressor from over cycling.

He tapes the probe to the fermenting bucket. I do, too. I use the heater to which you have linked and it works well. I use a less expensive ITC-308 controller ($35) but the timed temp profiles of the one in your link would be an advantage if you use only one fermenter at a time in the freezer.

I got it, I thought you had the probe on the outside since you said you didnt have a hole drilled in the freezer. But I guess you can have the probe (wire) run through the crack of the door.

I just bought the ITC-308, I hear great reviews and you cant beat the price!

We didn't drill a hole. We just run the probe lead through the door seal and into the leg on the Fermenator. Depending on the season and/or beer type, will run the freezer or a heating pad with the controller.

fermenter.jpg

Back