Who remembers the first beer they had??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RED DOG. Yup RED DOG. I was 13 and my older brother and his friend were bonging a 30 pack in the backyard. I had 3 and passed the f*** out! Woke up, couldnt find the bathroom so I ended up pissin on my bro who was asleep on the floor in a sleeping bag. He whooped my ass when he woke up and realized what had happened. Sorry bro...

A 10+ year old can of Budweiser sniped from my friend's basement. It was warm and, well, disgusting. It put me off beer until my late teens. The funny thing was the two of us claiming how good it was, trying to be "big".

16 years old, hot August nite, case of Rolling Rock ponies bought for us by George the pot washer at work (he was 25). By the time we dropped him off, drove 15 miles to my buddy's boat, got to the island where the party was being held, it had been close to 2 hours since he purchased the beer. Yep...warm as p*ss. Worst tasting junk I ever had. I remember thinking "no way I will ever drink beer again." Guess I was incorrect.

For me, it was prom night when I was a sophmore in high school (had an older date:rockin:). We had a case or two of beer, she was drinking some "malternative" beverage I think. The beer we had was warm, and I didn't know it was supposed to be cold. I cracked one open and forced my way through it. It was nasty, but I was sure as hell not going to let HER know that. :D

Pabst Blue Ribbon, the summer of 68. I was 18. It was luke warm, a common theme among young drinkers I see. We graduated to Heilman's Special Export shortly thereafter. I think it counts as Beer, I grew up in South Dakota and it was 3.2 beer, which was legal for 19 year olds to drink then. Not much other than Hamms, Grain Belt, Falstaff, and Schmidt to drink for regional brews, and Bud, Schlitz, PBR, and Miller nationally to drink in those days. That was even before light beer. Coors was not available in SD or very widely at all in those days, and was spoken of in hushed reverent tones. A friend boguht a case back from a ski trip to Colorado. and we gathered like pilgrims to a holy shrine to taste it. Boy was I disappointed. It tasted like, well Rocky Mountain Spring Water. I eventually graduated to Strohs in the 70s, a decent beer before Schlitz bought and destroyed it. And it spells Shorts backwards for those who appreciate palindromes. Olympia was the beer that Coors was meant to be, but it got destroyed by getting too big too fast as well. In graduate school my roommate and I drank Henley's (sp?) because it was cheap;, my roommate's friend worked at a liquor store and could get it for $3 a case. It tasted OK. Carling Black Label was pretty good in the 70s and so was Einbock. My wife taught at the University of Montana for a couple of years and we drank Lucky Lager. 11 Oz bottles and a rhebus under every bottle cap. The 80s ushered a whole new genre of beer, good beer compared to what we had previously anyway and Henry Weinhard's was a favorite for a long time. I learned about Anchor Steam in the 80s and living in LA brought ethnic beer like Tsing Tao, DOS XX, and Negro Modelo to my taste buds. Trader Joes often sold San Miguel nearing its expiration date cheaply and I drank a lot of that as well as Bueno Noche, which Trader Joe closed out cheaply in January and February. The late 80s and early 90s brought an explosion of good beers on the scene and I haven't looked back until now.

DoctorHops, You & I grew up in about the same era and area. I was in NW Iowa. Reading the list of all those beers really brought back some good memories!! Even the Hanley. Here's a pic... http://www.workalicious.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/hanley_380.jpg
And the Schmidt Animal Beer and Schmidt Big Mouth. Buckhorn was another one we got our hands on once in a while too. And of course the plain label beer from Falstaff when we were really broke. And then there was Schaefer. And if we were really fellin' upty up we'd get some Colt 45 Malt Liquor. And then Hamm's. Loved their commercials: or I still have my grandpa's Hamm's church key. I use it every day to open my homebrews & think about him every time. He used to give me a shot of his Hamm's in a tiny yellow mug the size of a shot glass. I was probably 3 when he started doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first taste of beer -- I was around 3, and my Dad gave me some of his Coors. I still have a clear, snapshot memory of the moment. I also remember him saying "it's like water that burns your mouth." Apparently, that wasn't enough to turn me off.

My first illicit beer -- The afternoon after the last day of my freshman year in high school. A bunch of us got together to burn some textbooks and gym clothes. One guy brought a couple Buds and a couple Schaffers that he sneaked out of the house. I still remember the interesting bike ride home.

The first beer I ever got all excited about -- Anchor Liberty Ale. It came in a mixed set of "imports" that my parents gave me for my 18th birthday.

TL

I was about 11. My dad was drinking tall boy Bud's with some of his friends in our carport. I kept bugging him for a beer, so he made me chug one, thinking I would get sick. Instead, I liked it and asked for another.

:rockin:

Kind of a funny story....

it was the Morning AFTER my high school graduation party. The Keg of Rolling Rock wasn't kicked yet, so my parents asked if I wanted a beer.... I said, sure... then my 19yo sister said sure, then my 21 year old brother said sure, and my mom and dad decided they wanted some... and our neighbor....

Essentially, my whole family and neighbor got nice and tipsy at 10am monday morning.

Definately was a luke warm plastic cup of Beast Light out of a keg. Disgusting but it got me drunk. Over the course of freshman year I continually forced myself to like beer (the reason it took a while was because I was drinking all BMC or worse). By sophmore year I liked beer.

7-8 years later now, I looove beer

Edit:
totally forgot that my dad used to give me a sip of his "barley pops" everyonce and a while, mostly as a joke. When I was five years old I asked my dad, what is that? He said its apple juice. He gave me a sip and I said, Dad no! that's beer as he laughed.

Labatt Blue.
Molson Canadian.
Pilsner.

might have been "a bit before legal drinking age" and I recall thinking "that's gross."

Years later--here I make my own!

The usual super-cliche story-- when I was a youngster dad let me sip some coors in the backyard after doing some yard work. I didn't like it!

First full beer was a case of MGD I found behind my house in the woods when I was 16 or so. Fake sicked the next day and had that case down by 10 AM :mug: I'd had drinks of Coors before though at friends but never full beers.

No idea how it came into my possesion, but it was a warm Busch can in the woods behind my house. I couldn't stomach it, and left like 1/4 the can for the slugs.
I was 10 or 11.
But I had been sipping off my dad's Silver Bullets and mom's wines as far back as I can remember.
Strangely, my dad drinks decent beer these days. I haven't seen a Coors can in his fridge in years.

Strangely, my dad drinks decent beer these days. I haven't seen a Coors can in his fridge in years.

My dad absolutely loves it when I come over. He drinks the cheapest beer on the shelf because he drinks soooo much beer. When I come over, I bring a six or twelve pack of craft beer or homebrew, and we will sit around all day (or two days) ENJOYING it rather than just drinking a bunch. He says "I just can't see spending that much on it, but I figure you are making up for all the hell you put me through."

Back