Who has started to pick apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
I started today. My 3 way apple tree has been dropping many apples over the last few weeks. Today I decided to start picking from the tree and get into the mindset to press out some cider.

I'll pick more tomorrow and press enough for a 5 gallon batch.

Anyone else have apples falling all over the place?

What sort? Grimes Golden seem to be somewhat rare but the first apple.

Your apples may be ready to pick, but maybe not....
There are reasons why apples fall off the tree besides ripeness. Pick a few and see how ripe they are before going further.
Any idea what variety of apple you have?
My experience had been that the cider from the early apples isn't all that great.
However, I am considering adding some early varieties to my apple tree collection, for eating only.

It was a 4 way apple tree when we planted it 24 years ago but one of the varieties died off. All are early apples, the earliest are already getting mealy. The other two varieties are slightly tart but edible at this time. I wouldn't pick them if they weren't edible.

I don't remember the names of the others, I do remember that none of the varieties are things you would see in a store.

About 5 gallons worth of apples are falling every night. I only use apples I've picked from the tree because I have two dogs who use the yard for their business.
Too bad you couldn’t rig up a net. I never understood why orchards don’t like olive growers do.

Picked my Major variety 2 weeks ago due to watercore setting in on the ripest ones. Similar happened last year and I barely salvaged any of them. So I opted to harvest them a bit underripe. I also picked my Hewes crabs.

Otherwise I've only collected a few Grimes Golden that have dropped, but they're probably a few weeks away from true ripeness.

In my area (northern California), Gravensteins were pickable a couple weeks ago and are pretty much done by now. Gala are ready as well. Mid-season varieties look like they have at least a few weeks before they are ready, and those late-season varieties have months before they are even close.

Back