Who has a fire extinguisher near their brewing setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought one today when it occurred to me that it seemed like a good idea.

L

Edit: I've never even been close to having a fire, but still . . .

I have them all over the place.

20# ABC in teh garage.
5# ABC near the fire place.
5# ABC in teh Kitchen.
10# ABC in the tool shed.
5# ABC in the Master bedroom.

I got lucky, my company was giving them away to avoid having to pay the annual inspection fees, where they were being kept they were not required. Anyway, all I had to do was sighn a waiver and they were mine. They are all large Ansul industrial ABC type (a few very large CO2), most brand new and still in a box. I think I counted about 70-75 of them. Yeah, I think I am set. I also gave about 10 to neighbors.

The reason I took so many besides they were free is that I live in a rural area with no fire hydrants, just a pump truck. I figured this would better my odd a bit. I have 3-4 on each story of our house including the basement, rest are in the barn.

...they emptied and threw away even more than that and gave tons to the local fire dept.

Don't need one. Just drink a lot of beer!

PeeOnFire.jpg

I usually keep one handy too. I did wonder if I might be overthinking it...glad I'm not alone

It would be very foolish not to have one nearby when brewing. It's really a good idea to have at least several around the house and workshop. IMO, not having a fire extinguisher handy when one is needed is second only to not having a loaded gun available when needed.

If you have a fire involving natural gas or propane, the last thing you want to do is put it out without turning the gas supply off first. By putting the fire out and not shutting off the gas supply first, you risk an explosion.

No, but that's only because I brew in the middle of a concrete patio. If something goes wrong with the propane tank I sure as heck won't be close enough to deal with it using a fire extinguisher.

One in the kitchen and one in the van. Opposite sides of the brewery.

I've only used a fire extinguisher once. Engine fire in the car next to mine in a parking lot. Idiot popped her hood to check on the smoke! WOOF! Did not tell her that Purple-K is death on wiring.

One in the kitchen and one in the van. Opposite sides of the brewery.

I've only used a fire extinguisher once. Engine fire in the car next to mine in a parking lot. Idiot popped her hood to check on the smoke! WOOF! Did not tell her that Purple-K is death on wiring.

Interesting you had a Purple K extinguisher. They are usually used for magnesium fires.

Interesting you had a Purple K extinguisher. They are usually used for magnesium fires.

No sodium chloride is for Mag fires (and most other metals). Purple K is for Hydrocarbon fires (fuel) Hence why I have 400 lbs on my fire truck i drive. :rockin:

OshkoshStriker704S1415-2.jpg

Purple K works by inhibiting the chemical chain reaction.

If you have a fire involving natural gas or propane, the last thing you want to do is put it out without turning the gas supply off first. By putting the fire out and not shutting off the gas supply first, you risk an explosion.

I am confused, I have not had an issue when brewing but during a summer bar-b-que we had a propane tank with a bad valve. We had a fire on top of the propane tank making it impossible to turn the valve off, we used an ABC fire extinguisher to put out the fire... that could have cause a explosion? What should I do in that situation?

I am confused, I have not had an issue when brewing but during a summer bar-b-que we had a propane tank with a bad valve. We had a fire on top of the propane tank making it impossible to turn the valve off, we used an ABC fire extinguisher to put out the fire... that could have cause a explosion? What should I do in that situation?

It your situation that was the right thing to do as you had no other choice. he was saying it as if the fire in not there at your fitting/regulator but at your burner.

If it's at your burner you shut off the gas because if you just ptu it out you are letting Propane flow freely untill it finds an ignition source and it will flash back to the source causing a big fire ball. In your case you couldn;t safely shut off the tank and if you would have let it burn it would have caused a Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE).

If you can safely cut the gas off though it is ALWAYS the prefferable solution.

I have one handy at all times when I am brewing. Wooden brew stand, open propane fire, in the garage, just really don't want the unthinkable to happen.

I had a motorcycle catch fire while working on it with a propane torch. Ignited gasoline was spraying from a fuel line (bad petcock). I should have removed the tank first but hindsight is 20/20. Luckily I had the foresight to have an extinguisher within arm's reach, as my hand caught fire, too. One quick blast from the extinguisher and the fire was out. Unfortunately that meant the whole shop and the entire bike was covered in that sticky yellow crud.

Figured I'd just go jump in the bayou if I catch myslelf on fire. The house? We don't need no water... Let the m'fer burn!

Seriously, a fire extinguisher, and (as Norm always says) a pair of safety glasses should be indispensable.

Back