Who else is making purchases now to offset future inflation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerstein

Reaction score
I got two emails this week about ~10ish % price increases. Im thinking about purchasing a bunch of dry yeast to carry me through the next six months.

Anyone else doing this?

I always try to make a purchase worth it so whenever I buy yeast I always buy several packs and hops I always get several lbs. It’s not necessarily to save money but make an online order worth it.

I always try to make a purchase worth it so whenever I buy yeast I always buy several packs and hops I always get several lbs. It’s not necessarily to save money but make an online order worth it.

I hear you. Doing the same thing. I've always used dry yeast. I think I'm going to switch to buying half kilo bags instead of 11g packets.

I buy my grain and hops in bulk, and re-use yeast as far as I can; both as a cost-saving measure and also convenience. The coming inflation is going to affect shiny stuff for homebrewers (and the big guys) more than ingredients, in my opinion. Not that there won't be price increases, oh no; shipping costs are going through the roof right now with (not necessarily in this order): 1, lack of truck drivers; 2, the mess at all of the ports, both in the US and foreign; and 3, labor issues everywhere. The company I work for is paying top dollar for port drivers but what we get isn't even the cream of the crop. And those very drivers are frustrated beyond belief by the backups at the ports. When you're sitting there for 6-8 hours waiting to get ONE container out, it's gonna jade you for the work. For comparison, in "good" times, a driver can get 3-4 containers out of the ocean terminals per day; right now we're lucky to get ONE. Our biggest customer (rhymes with allmymoneyzgone) has hundreds of containers sitting at the Seattle/Tacoma ports that we can't get at because more ships keep coming, they stack new containers on top of the old ones, and they don't have the labor to move them around to get the oldest ones out first. It's a vicious catch-22. All of our ports are jam-packed full of loaded containers that are just sitting there. On top of that, the geniuses that run the ports and the steamship lines decided to slap MORE fees on top of the already astronomical storage charges to "encourage" customers to get their containers out. Trust me, that's all we want to do, but the ports don't have enough labor to make it happen.

TLDR: but Christmas is gonna suck this year. For a very good look at what's happening, google the 60 Minutes segment on the ports that ran a few weeks ago; it's very enlightening.

Back