Who else has done a Friday prep for Saturday ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. Difference is I fill the HLT and MT with water (HERMS) and add brewing salts. Set the timer so pumps and heating element come on at 0530. Everything is up to temp by the time I get up. Just Mill the grain and mash in.
No whitetail here, just dog sized blacktail...

Every time. Turn on the tunes and pop a beer or two on Friday evening and set everything up, then I'm ready to light the fire as soon as I get up Saturday morning.

I have to prep before every brew day. I never have that much time all at once to do an "open the bag to pitch the yeast" type brew day.
I always pull the grist, mill it, get all my gear together, and get started asap the next day.

I usually procrastinate so it is everything of brew day. Weighing out the grain is about the extent of my prep.

Friday prep for Saturday? Almost never since this it the first Saturday I have had off in at least 6 months.

The only thing I do in advance is make a starter and fill the HLT with RO water, because it takes about 4 hours to produce 15 gallons.

I at least mill my grains and make sure my ice bottles are in the freezer the evening or night before. That way, it's two less things to do on brew day. Sometimes I'll also weigh out my hops and make sure everything I need is moved from my brew room to the kitchen for easy access. I can always do this on brew day while mashing if I don't do it the night before.

Since I brew on my lanai and my system is stored in the garage, I lug everything out late Friday afternoon/evening. I set it all up, hoses, tri-clovers, etc. The next morning though I add my water and crush my grain when it's heating up. I like your brew rig!

John

I grind grain and sometimes do starter but the rest I do while water is heating and wort is cooling

I grind my grains the evening before. Other than that I don't have much to prep. Just pull out the burner and kettle and start heating. I guess that's one of the advantages of BIAB. Once I get the water heated up and the mash going I get everything else ready. Then once the boil starts, I start cleaning and putting stuff away that I'm done with.

I actually mash on Friday night, so that all I have to do is boil the wort and add hops on Saturday. No issues so far, and makes Saturday brew day SO MUCH shorter.

Used to prep everything possible on Friday night for Saturday brew and it made Saturday a breeze. Now i do LoDO and the only prep is making enough water to brew. Everything else is last minute.

Latest posts

Back