Who else bought 2 pounds of pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I got a few more hops just to be sure, as soon as my order comes this is what I will have in my freezer. I like to do IPAs Porters and Belgians, I occasionally do a pilariesner or bock, but only about one at a time. Can anyone think of additional hop varietals I should get before they are sold out. I have looked at about 3 different homebrew sites on the internet and almost all my favorite varieties are sold out, let me know what you think.

Galena Pellets 1.0 lb.
UK Goldings 1 lb
Nugget Pellets 1 lb.
Hallertau Pellets 1 lb.
Perle Pellets 1 lb.
Cascade Pellets 1 lb.

I bought a pound of Amarillo pellets, Hersbrucker pellets and Fuggles leaf hops.

I never thought 3 pounds of hops would look that great, haha.

I just placed another order... worked an extra hour to cover the bill. They already way shorter on hops than they were yesterday and the price has gone up on most of them. So, I got 1lb of fuggle and 1lb of saaz, plus 3oz of galena for 8/8/8 (it is galena, right?)

Ó Flannagáin said:
I just placed another order... worked an extra hour to cover the bill. They already way shorter on hops than they were yesterday and the price has gone up on most of them. So, I got 1lb of fuggle and 1lb of saaz, plus 3oz of galena for 8/8/8 (it is galena, right?)

Why is everyone here so obsessed with August 8th 2008? I may have missed something but I just don't get it.

Sorry if this is :off:

Donasay said:
Why is everyone here so obsessed with August 8th 2008? I may have missed something but I just don't get it.

Sorry if this is :off:

The board brews a special beer on these dates together, there was a 6/6/06 and 7/7/07 and maybe others before, I dunno. They usually have like 6 grains, or 7 hops additions or whatever. Just kind of annual, community brew.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I got a pound of cascade a month ago, kinda regret it, don't use it in much. I've used it in 1/9 brews so far this fall.

I'll take 'em off your hands, no charge.

I bought a pound of EKG and hallertau about a month ago should last me a while. Also, bought another pound, assorted, but that is for one 5 gallon brew:eek:

Sign of the times - after reading this thread along with other supporting info that hops are going to be a bit scarce, I checked my favorite bulk supplier (www.hopsdirect.com) to see what was available and how the prices were shaping up. Turns out, they quit selling hops to the little guy (at least temporarily)! They are currently servicing only commercial requests, and it seems that their stock is pretty scant.

Damn! I really liked that place - they always shipped fast, and I usually wound up with a bit more than I ordered (they have a heavy hand with the scales).

Beerrific said:
I'll take 'em off your hands, no charge.

I bought a pound of EKG and hallertau about a month ago should last me a while. Also, bought another pound, assorted, but that is for one 5 gallon brew:eek:

Trade you a lb of cascade for a lb of EKG :) actually about 14oz

You know, last time I went on the sam adams tour, they let everyone take a handful of hops and crush them in their hands to get an idea of the flavor. They had them sitting there in a large oak barrel. Do you think they would notice if I took the tour again and just happened to fill a bag with some of their hops, I mean usually the hops just wind up on the floor after people smash them between their hands.

Donasay said:
You guys have 4, 5 or even 6 pounds of hops sitting around your places. That is alot of hops, two pounds should last me through the winter, but you make it sound like I should buy another pound to be safe. The problem is that buying a whole pound really limits the recipes and flavors you can do. So now I pose this hypothetical question. If you were only able to have 3 types of hops, what three types would you buy to be able to brew the most recipes. I have two pounds coming, but am not contemplaing a third or fourth, but am at a loss as to what ones would be most versitile. Any suggestions.

Northern Brewer hops for dark beers..esp stouts...
Centennial & Simcoe hops for IPAs and IIPAs and everything else....

kenb said:
Northern Brewer hops for dark beers..esp stouts...
Centennial & Simcoe hops for IPAs and IIPAs and everything else....

I asked the same thing a whiles back and I was recommended Northern Brewer, Cascades, and EKG; together they cover everything except German beers. Grab some Hallertau, though, and you're good to go! :D

RadicalEd said:
I asked the same thing a whiles back and I was recommended Northern Brewer, Cascades, and EKG; together they cover everything except German beers. Grab some Hallertau, though, and you're good to go! :D
That sounds good..i would die without my Centennial hop fix though. That is my 'desert island' hop! :rockin:

Back