Who came up with the idea of Miller 64???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some friends of mine recently relocated. They had professional movers do the move. One of the rules was that the movers would not move any alcohol.

Before they left they gave me several cases of Miller 64 because they know I like beer. Hmm - Apparently I did something to piss them off because this is by far the worst swill I've ever encountered.

Has anyone else ever tried this stuff? It is literally beer-flavored water. I generally defend BMC because I think they do a good job appealing to the masses, but this stuff is inexcusable.

I want to know who invented it. This person needs to be dealt with before he strikes again. Maybe this belongs on the 'People who I should be able to kill' thread.

I'm also looking for suggestions on what to do with several cases of this stuff. I can only marinade so many steaks. I thought about a landfill, but I don't want to harm the environment.

Any ideas?:drunk:

Sometimes ladies dig that stuff. Perhaps find a member of the fairer sex who enjoys a 64 and offer her one or more of the beverages in question?

64 calorie beer...of course it is mostly water and only beer by default.

Take it out to the range and set them up on the railing for target practice.

Just throwing this out there - when I'd go to my grandparents cabin out in the boonies, we used to shake up cans of Pabst NA and pop 'em with a .22. Kablooie!!!

Nah, just save 'em for one of those days when you're working in the yard on a hot day, or when someone who likes that crap is over.

I'd sit a few in the window for a week then in my car for a couple more. Then chill it in my fridge for the mooches to drink while the little devil on my left shoulder laughs and laughs. Or for my brother just to screw with him.

Or you could sell it to a frat for half price.

precook brats

beer cheese or beer french onion soup

Or make some mushrooms:
Place whole button and/or small portabella mushrooms in a pot. Add in 2T or more of real butter, some garlic pepper seasoning and a minced garlic clove. Cover with enough beer so the mushrooms float. Bring to boil for 10 minutes or they are cooked.

last resort take a beer bath, it is good for your skin.

OOh! Can't believe I only just remembered this. Do THIS with 'em!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-hop-testing-bud-light-399495/

This is an awesome Idea! :rockin:

I have Citra, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, etc... I can probably get through most of the beer.

Unfortunately they are cans, so I can't reseal them. I guess I can slap some duct tape over the mouth of the can.

Oh well - hoppy, flat, and oxidized will probably be a big improvement.:D

I like Miller 64...It's like water that tastes like beer...better than Poland Spring IMO

You know what...If they had sold it as beer flavored water I would probably be complimenting the idea, and raving about its deliciousness.

I guess it's all in your perspective.

You sir are a 'Glass Is Half Full' kinda guy. I appreciate that. :rockin:

You could do the dry hop test!

Personally, I'm more concerned with who came up with the idea for Blue Moon seasonals ........w....t......f........

caught the TV show Perception the other night and it prominently featured both Blue Moon and Miller 64, the only beers that this fictional bar seemed to have on tap

You could do the dry hop test!

Personally, I'm more concerned with who came up with the idea for Blue Moon seasonals ........w....t......f........

Yea, recently I used the agave nectar ale (SWMBO didn't even like it) in my drip pan to smoke some Boston butt, now that's a good use for undrinkable beer

I love the song in the Miller 64 commercial" "Here's to good Miller who cut out the filler... WTF?

I love/hate this lyric too.

This was such a SMH moment for me. Either they are lying or I am wasting a lot of money and effort to put all these unnecessary things into my brews. Think of all the waster "filler" that we/industry have been putting into beer throughout the centuries. Oh the humanity!

beer french onion soup

That is a really good idea. Replace all the broth in the recipe with beer and add bouillon cubes. Would probably work better than a more flavorful beer simply by not overpowering the other ingredients.

I love/hate this lyric too.

This was such a SMH moment for me. Either they are lying or I am wasting a lot of money and effort to put all these unnecessary things into my brews. Think of all the waster "filler" that we/industry have been putting into beer throughout the centuries. Oh the humanity!

Filler?:confused:

Maybe more like flavor, aroma, mouth feel and a host of little nuances that go into a well brewed beer.

Could be they had a screw up and brewed a couple of hundred thousand gallons of this swill and decided to sell it rather than dump it. I wonder how it is selling?

bosco

Leftover 'party beer ' ie that which did not originate on the premises typically goes into beer batter for fish /pickles or into the pico de guillo ...

I never understood diet beer.

If you want to drink with no calories and all that, have a vodka and call it a day.

Huh? Alcohol has calories. But may not lead to weight gain if there is no fat or carbohydrate content. A shot of a really clean Vodka will still have ~50 calories MOL from alcohol.

Huh? Alcohol has calories. But may not lead to weight gain if there is no fat or carbohydrate content. A shot of a really clean Vodka will still have ~50 calories MOL from alcohol.

I was under the impression it had little to no calories.

Learn something new everyday.

So wait, a Miller 64 only has a bit more calories then a shot of vodka? :drunk:

I'm glad i'm just fat and happy with it.

When I first tasted a Mich Ultra. It was part of the "mug Club" at my bar at college (hey, it got me in without a cover, got me my own mug with etched name in it, and gave me a cut the line pass so it was worth it). I took a sip and my thought was Horse Trough Water, bottled up. lightly grainy water with very little head to it. I was not a fan, and I wasn't even a beer snob at the time other than my principles being BL rather than the Milwakees Beast crap.

And if I remember correctly from college health and nutrition class carbs have less energy than fats which hold less energy than alcohol which is less than proteins. Or some such like that. I guess that is the reason my body temperature skyrockets when i sleep off a drunk.

Could be they had a screw up and brewed a couple of hundred thousand gallons of this swill and decided to sell it rather than dump it. I wonder how it is selling?

I picture it a lot like the old Reeses Peanut Butter Cup commercials:

A tanker truck full of water collides with a tanker truck full of MGD.

Both drivers get out to survey the mess.

First Driver: 'Hey - You got beer in my water!'

Second Driver: 'Hey - You got water in my beer?'

Light bulb goes off as the both realize what they've created.

Here comse the announcer with the hook : Water and beer - 2 great tastes that go great together. Miller 64.

Fade to black.

Kinda like this:

I should do this for a living. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Here comse the announcer with the hook : Water and beer - 2 great tastes that go great together. Miller 64.

Fade to black.

Kinda like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLDF6qZUX0

It probably is something like that. A newbie brewer assistant may have doubled the water addition or cut a already diluted batch (normal strength) with another dose by accident and said... bottle it up. Maybe it is just how they move the batches that aren't up to the high consistancy standard of normal MGD/ML and they decided that if they lighten it up more you will not be able to taste the flaw anymore. Then again wasnt michelob the start of the lower calorie beers?

Ok I stand corrected.

Miller 64— (Formerly Miller Genuine Draft 64[6]) A lighter version of the regular Miller Genuine Draft Light with a 2.8% abv, also known as "MGD 64". It contains 64 calories per 12 US fl oz (355 mL) serving (750 kJ/L). Until recently, no other beer on the market had less food energy, although Beck's Premier Light also has 64 calories per 12 US fl oz serving. In the late summer of 2009, Budweiser launched Budweiser Select 55 in response to Miller's popular MGD 64. Miller launched this beer in the summer of 2007 in Madison, Wisconsin. It was received favorably and testing expanded to Arizona, San Diego and Sacramento.[7]

Or at least according to wikipedia and we know how authoritative that is.

When I first tasted a Mich Ultra. It was part of the "mug Club" at my bar at college (hey, it got me in without a cover, got me my own mug with etched name in it, and gave me a cut the line pass so it was worth it). I took a sip and my thought was Horse Trough Water, bottled up. lightly grainy water with very little head to it. I was not a fan, and I wasn't even a beer snob at the time other than my principles being BL rather than the Milwakees Beast crap.

And if I remember correctly from college health and nutrition class carbs have less energy than fats which hold less energy than alcohol which is less than proteins. Or some such like that. I guess that is the reason my body temperature skyrockets when i sleep off a drunk.

carbs = 4 calories per gram
protein = 4 calories per gram
fat = 9 calories per gram
alcohol = 7 calories per gram

It doesn't matter the source, all calories count the same when it comes to being "fattening".

Miller 64— (Formerly Miller Genuine Draft 64[6]) A lighter version of the regular Miller Genuine Draft Light with a 2.8% abv, also known as "MGD 64". It contains 64 calories per 12 US fl oz (355 mL) serving (750 kJ/L). Until recently, no other beer on the market had less food energy, although Beck's Premier Light also has 64 calories per 12 US fl oz serving. In the late summer of 2009, Budweiser launched Budweiser Select 55 in response to Miller's popular MGD 64.

2.8% alcohol? Can you even get a buzz from that?

Dammit - I wish you didn't mention the Bud 55. Now I have to compare Bud Select 55 and Miller 64 to see which has the least taste. I'll do it for Science.

Fade to black.

Kinda like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLDF6qZUX0

I want to know who this chick is just walking down the street shoveling peanut butter down her throat by the fingerful.

Maybe when they say filler they literally mean filler like corn and rice they use to make their regular swill???

I sat with my mom in law's boyfriend who's a major d-bag at a bar in Green bay, Wisconsin one night having some brats and beers. He proceeded to tell me the New Glarus I was drinking wasn't real beer and his Bud was. Then I watched him repeatedly sprinkle salt in it to get it to fizz up so there was a little head.

That's your standard BMC drinker right there...

carbs = 4 calories per gram
protein = 4 calories per gram
fat = 9 calories per gram
alcohol = 7 calories per gram

It doesn't matter the source, all calories count the same when it comes to being "fattening".

Alcohol, by itself, is non fattening by how it is metabolized. It is the adjuncts to the alcohol (fats and carbs) that cause alcoholic drinks to be "fattening".

Look it up. It's well known that alcohol does not increase weight gain. In fact, studies show that substituting alcohol calories for carbohydrate calories reduces weight gain compared to control groups.

I didn't start drinking beer untill I was 25 because miller light and bud light were the only beers i grew up around. One day my brother brought over Sterkens white ale. Totally gave me a new perspective of beer. It was all down hill from there.

Back