Who’s brewing today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not brewing but transfering/wrangling today.

Finally dealing with about 20 gallons of mixed ferment beer that’s been going anywhere from 8-14 months now. Gonna package some of it on its own, rest will get blended and packaged, or blended onto fruit for another 2-3 months. Just been too lazy to start this project.

Got a can seamer recently too, gonna hopefully give it a go here later today or tomorrow.

Slowly crashing and dumping hops from a few fermenters today too.

About to crush up some grains but I'm stuck on what to brew.
I can brew an apa, session ipa, oatmeal stout, oatmeal chocolate brown.
I'm leaning towards a dark beer because I love brewing dark beers but I have a couple packs of experimental hops that would be fun in an apa or session ale. What to do??

About to crush up some grains but I'm stuck on what to brew.
I can brew an apa, session ipa, oatmeal stout, oatmeal chocolate brown.
I'm leaning towards a dark beer because I love brewing dark beers but I have a couple packs of experimental hops that would be fun in an apa or session ale. What to do??
Dark beer season is upon us. A nice silky oatmeal stout will taste good 4 weeks from now.

Finally getting a chance to brew again today. Doing a Mosiac and Azacca NEIPA. Tweeking the grainbill this time

Grains
70% Pilsner
20% Flaked Barley
10% Malted Oats

Yeast
Kviek Hornindal

Hops
Azacca & Mosaic

Water
Ca:91
Mg: 15
Cl: 148
So4:102
Na: 67
Hornindal never fails to amaze me reached fg in less than 72 hours. 1.068 to 1.010. Started the soft crash this morning to drop yeast and will put the first dryhop charge in late Sunday night or early Monday morning

Hit my numbers on the oatmeal brown ale I brewed yesterday. Pretty easy brew day with no surprises. Did a no chill brew so I just now put it in the fermentor and pitched the yeast. The wort tastes like it's going to be tasty.
Hope everyone is getting a brew in on this holiday weekend!
IMG_20190901_144502021.jpeg

Brewing later tonight after my 3 kids are in bed (830ish).

5 gal Blueberry pie session milkshake IPA (so trendy lol):

4.5 lb GP
3 lb Pilsner
1 lb malted oats
1 lb wheat malt
0.25 lb biscuit malt
0.25 lb honey malt
0.5 lb lactose

1.054 OG, 1.020 FG targets
125 Cl/75 SO4

15 IBU hop extract (60 min)
15 IBU Mosaic

4 oz Mosaic, 2 oz Strata (170F Whirlpool)

A24 ferment 68F to 74F ramp over 3 days

6 oz El Dorado dry hop split over two additions. First with 9 lb blueberries (fresh picked in June and frozen) and second after after soft crash at 60F.

Shooting for 10 days into the the keg.

Brewed up my imperial stout today - decent efficiency considering how big a beer it is, and started fermenting mighty quick.

Brewing later tonight after my 3 kids are in bed (830ish).

5 gal Blueberry pie session milkshake IPA (so trendy lol):

4.5 lb GP
3 lb Pilsner
1 lb malted oats
1 lb wheat malt
0.25 lb biscuit malt
0.25 lb honey malt
0.5 lb lactose

1.054 OG, 1.020 FG targets
125 Cl/75 SO4

15 IBU hop extract (60 min)
15 IBU Mosaic

4 oz Mosaic, 2 oz Strata (170F Whirlpool)

A24 ferment 68F to 74F ramp over 3 days

6 oz El Dorado dry hop split over two additions. First with 9 lb blueberries (fresh picked in June and frozen) and second after after soft crash at 60F.

Shooting for 10 days into the the keg.

Pre-dry hop hydro sample (at 58F), looking good! Gravity is at 1.019, so about 4.5% abv (guessing blueberries didn’t increase abv).

upload_2019-9-8_11-43-20.jpeg

Meeeeeee. Heating up strike water for a wheat blonde ale. Using up some small quantity leftover bags of azacca and falconers flight. My last chance for awhile so I figured I would sneak a brew in.

Did my porter as scheduled. Got a nice visit from @Dgallo and another friend at various points. Numbers super close to target, zero doubts it'll be as good as it usually is.

Brew day was supposed to be tonight but life got in the way, so it’s going to be tomorrow

Brewing a Imperial Milk Stout with cocoa nib, coffee, coconut, and vanilla. It will be hilariously named “Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake” in honor of my lovely grandmother. Weird name, I know, but there is a story behind it.

My grandma is a fantastic baker And she makes an amazing chocolate cake that includes all of the listed ingredients but to make it nice and dense, as she puts it, she uses mayonnaise and egg. she often will bring it to a parties for friends and family and people love it. But here’s where it gets funny, instead of calling it “chocolate coconut cake” or even a simple “chocolate cake”, she literally calls it a “Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake”.... and that’s when you start seeing the forks go down lol

Brew day was supposed to be tonight but life got in the way, so it’s going to be tomorrow

Brewing a Imperial Milk Stout with cocoa nib, coffee, coconut, and vanilla. It will be hilariously named “Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake” in honor of my lovely grandmother. Weird name, I know, but there is a story behind it.

My grandma is a fantastic baker And she makes an amazing chocolate cake that includes all of the listed ingredients but to make it nice and dense, as she puts it, she uses mayonnaise and egg. she often will bring it to a parties for friends and family and people love it. But here’s where it gets funny, instead of calling it “chocolate coconut cake” or even a simple “chocolate cake”, she literally calls it a “Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake”.... and that’s when you start seeing the forks go down lol

Dated a girl years ago who’s sister baked with mayo. Actually some of the best cakes I’d ever had, and I hate mayo.

Going to get this thread going again today. The wife is going out today to see her family and taking our son with her, so I’m going to be doing a double brew day of a NEIIPA and an Mexican Hot ChocolatE inspired Imperial Milk Stout.

NEIIPA
12 lb - Pilsner
4 lb - white wheat
2 lb - oat malt
Mash 152
Target og 1.078
Target fg 1.014/16

Hotside Hops: Cascade & Riwaka
Dryhops: Nelson and Galaxy

Imperial milk stout
16 lb - 2 row
2 lb - white wheat
2 lb - flakes oats
1 lb - Caramunich II
1.5 lb - Carafa III
0.5 lb - Chocolate wheat
0.5 lb - roasted barley
0.5 lb Special B
1.0 lb lactose
mash 152*f
Target og 1.102
Target fg 1.026/28

4 oz cocoa nips
2 vanilla bean
3 oz Venezuela whole bean coffee
1/2 large cinnamon stick
(Vanilla and cinnamon will be turned into a tincture to be added at kegging)

Last edited:
After packaging 2 beers on Friday all my fermenters were empty; and we can't have that...
So Saturday I brewed my first california common. I nailed all my numbers and it was a super easy brew day for beer #96. Inching closer and closer to batch 100!
I tried to stay to style as much as I could with all Northern brewer hops and wlp810 yeast but I might not have the ambient air temp low enough to use the yeast. My basement is 68.8 degrees and my garage is 56 degrees atm. The range on the white labs website it 50-68 degrees so my garage would be better i think. However, it's going to get down into the 20s in the next couple days so I'm worried it'll get too cold in the garage and the yeast will stall out.
I might be able to do a swamp cooler in the basement to shave off a degree or two from the 68+ degrees it is down there but I'd rather use ambient air temp so I don't have to remember to switch out ice packs. I also do not want a fruity common due to high fermentation temps. I don't mind a little but fermenting at just above the recommended temp makes me think it'll be too fruity. I have some fresh sa05 but I really wanted a true steam beer.
I did a no chill brew so I have the next few hours to decide what I'm going to do while it cools.
I'm also thinking to put it in the garage to cool down then pitch the yeast and move it to the basement. I'm hoping the beer will get cold enough for a day or so during rigorous fermentation and warm up after that part is close to being finished. I only need it in the high 50s/low 60s for a day or two I'd think.
Decisions, decisions...

I did a double brew day last Sat . Long day but I enjoy it . Happy brewing @Dgallo !
Thanks brother. I used to do it quite a bit since I my stove is strong enough to heat 4 gallons of sparge water relatively quickly. I also Worked out a solid process to finish two beers in 6.5 hours (would be mashing the second beer while boiling the first) but it’s been so long since I tried this so I’m sure I’ll be a tad rusty. Hoping to be done under 7.5 hours to keep the Mrs happy

My back went out while my last batch was in the fermenter. It finally felt pretty ok on Saturday, so I went ahead and bottled it. In the fermenter two months. My back complained some, but it didn't go out again. Hoping to get back to the regular schedule.

My back went out while my last batch was in the fermenter. It finally felt pretty ok on Saturday, so I went ahead and bottled it. In the fermenter two months. My back complained some, but it didn't go out again. Hoping to get back to the regular schedule.
Don’t procrastinate in getting your back looked at if it persists. I hurt mine a couple of brews back lifting a kettle with 7 gallons in it. Spent a week with lumbar pain and reinjured it a couple more times — once just cleaning the toilet. An MRI showed a piece of disc had separated and was pushing on a nerve creating hip and leg pain. For now, it’s been addressed with a lumbar epidural injection.

I wasn't planning on brewing but I might be brewing tomorrow, don't know what yet as I have 2 options

Don’t procrastinate in getting your back looked at if it persists. I hurt mine a couple of brews back lifting a kettle with 7 gallons in it. Spent a week with lumbar pain and reinjured it a couple more times — once just cleaning the toilet. An MRI showed a piece of disc had separated and was pushing on a nerve creating hip and leg pain. For now, it’s been addressed with a lumbar epidural injection.
Yes, yes, yes - you're preaching to the choir. I must have just about the same problem that you have. They diagnosed mine as a ruptured disc a few years ago. Bad news.

Yes, yes, yes - you're preaching to the choir. I must have just about the same problem that you have. They diagnosed mine as a ruptured disc a few years ago. Bad news.
Good luck to you. Mine is one level above a spinal fusion I had 24 years ago. At 61, I’m not enjoying the aging process! 😕

Brewed up the latest iteration of my imperial stout today - just hit 1.100. Started fermenting in ~4 hours, so that's awesome. Fingers crossed!

Brewed a NEIIPA on Friday. Was shooting for an OG of 1.072. Mashed at 156F for 2 hours. Ran some errands during the mash. Figured it wouldn't make too much of a difference, but ended up getting much better efficiency and an OG of 1.083. Fermented at 95F, and Hornindal chewed through it in 24 hours (1.020)! Gonna crash to 60F tomorrow, then dry hop, then keg 2 days after. Grabbed a sample today, and even at 95F it tasted shockingly drinkable. That yeast is something else. Defies everything we know about brewing 🤯

Back