white stuff floating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete2601

Reaction score
This is only my second batch. I have a blonde ale that has been fermenting for 6 days and there seems to be little white flakes the size of grains of rice.Can someone tell me what it might be.

I just brewed and bottled my first extract kit in January and had the same thing. I was worried, too, but the ale turned out just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's just your normal junk floating around - wort can look REAL nasty at times but it's all good. The only time you really have to worry is when it looks like strings (like string cheese) or spiderwebs are forming. Floating globs are normal.

Quite often you will see clumps of yeast that will float to the surface and stay there. Nothing to worry about and it may or may not happen.

Im going with yeast floaters aka rafts. This happened on my last two batches due to furious fermentation. Like others have said, unless they turn spidery or hairy your good.

RDWHAHB

Back