White Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
Hello HBT,

Austin Homebrew just came out with a kit for a white stout and I wanted to know if there are any recipes out there for one. I checked the forums but didn't get any results with my searches. Any sharing would be great. I'm looking to do a 10 gal batch and doesn't matter if it's all grain, partial or extract. Any info helps, even if it's just ingredients I should consider or stay away from. Thanks in advance!

I think this is an original. That said, the simplicity of the ingredients list means you could probably kitbash a fair knockoff.

It's not an original. It's just a new marketing ploy that several breweries are doing right now. The tag line is basically "Stout just used to mean strong beer". General idea is to make a creamy, sweet, malt forward, light beer with higher hop levels.

They list their basic recipe - scaled up to a 10 gallon batch

16 lb MO
2 lb flaked oats
2 lb flake barley
3 lb Crystal 40

Mash high - maybe 156
Hops are glacier and gelena
Use your favorite english yeast
Add some cold roasted coffee from your favorite light roast (not looking for much roasted flavor)

Their recipe is only a 1.047 OG though, so I'm not sure what is so "stout" about it. The commercial versions seem to lean towards 7% abv.

billl said:
It's not an original. It's just a new marketing ploy that several breweries are doing right now. The tag line is basically "Stout just used to mean strong beer". General idea is to make a creamy, sweet, malt forward, light beer with higher hop levels. They list their basic recipe - scaled up to a 10 gallon batch 16 lb MO 2 lb flaked oats 2 lb flake barley 3 lb Crystal 40 Mash high - maybe 156 Hops are glacier and gelena Use your favorite english yeast Add some cold roasted coffee from your favorite light roast (not looking for much roasted flavor) Their recipe is only a 1.047 OG though, so I'm not sure what is so "stout" about it. The commercial versions seem to lean towards 7% abv.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I probably will try this out with my buddy. What would you suggest for me to add more to the OG? And what's your preferred way to cold brew coffee for this one?

Just add more Marris Otter to increase the OG to whatever range you want. It's supposed to have a stout-like mouth feel and body, so stay away from simple sugars.

There are lots of threads here on the details of cold steeping some coffee, but basically- ground coffee+cold water + fridge. Steeping it cold keeps it very smooth, gentle coffee flavor.

disclaimer - I haven't brewed this at all - just translating from the austin website. They list enough of their ingredients so that you should be able to get pretty close.

It's not an original. It's just a new marketing ploy that several breweries are doing right now. The tag line is basically "Stout just used to mean strong beer". General idea is to make a creamy, sweet, malt forward, light beer with higher hop levels.

They list their basic recipe - scaled up to a 10 gallon batch

16 lb MO
2 lb flaked oats
2 lb flake barley
3 lb Crystal 40

Mash high - maybe 156
Hops are glacier and gelena
Use your favorite english yeast
Add some cold roasted coffee from your favorite light roast (not looking for much roasted flavor)

Their recipe is only a 1.047 OG though, so I'm not sure what is so "stout" about it. The commercial versions seem to lean towards 7% abv.

What would you suggest for a hop schedule ? or is this something I should put into beersmith and play around with ... shoot for around 30ibu ?

Just brewed the AHS version yesterday, the hopping schedule was 1oz Galena for 60 minutes and 1oz of Glacier for 15 minutes. It said to cut the Galena by 20% if doing full grain. Also, for the coffee, it was an addition of 8oz of light roast whole beans for the last 5 minutes. It looks like a light Belgian golden and wort has nice malty, floral, coffee flavor to it. Very curious to try this one in a few weeks after the yeast do their thing and the flavors mingle and mute.

Cathedral said:
Where are the fargin' pictures?!

Here you go - Merry Christmas!

image-3489566519.jpg

I have been formulating my own recipe and will be brewing it this Monday. Any suggestions on how much cold steeped coffee per 5 gallons I was thinking of adding it as a dry hop addition for the last 7 days

"Does anyone have an extract recipe for this??"

Hops and yeast are obviously the same.

6lbs Marris Otter LME (or other light LME if you can't get MO)
1LB Flaked Oats
1LB Flaked Barley
1.5lb Crystal40

The flaked grains are going to providing mostly mouth feel since you aren't mashing them. You could try a partial mash by using 2-3lbs of Marris otter or other pale malt and mashing at 156 for an hour before adding 4-5lbs of extract.

I wanna jump on the white stout train!

I think i will cut out that c40 in order to keep the color more "white"

I'm gonna try some cacao nibs instead of coffee. Even if it is light roasted coffee, I can see it imparting a bit of color.

Just brewed the AHS version yesterday, the hopping schedule was 1oz Galena for 60 minutes and 1oz of Glacier for 15 minutes. It said to cut the Galena by 20% if doing full grain. Also, for the coffee, it was an addition of 8oz of light roast whole beans for the last 5 minutes. It looks like a light Belgian golden and wort has nice malty, floral, coffee flavor to it. Very curious to try this one in a few weeks after the yeast do their thing and the flavors mingle and mute.

Was this a 5 or 10 gal batch? Also, have you tried the beer yet? I have used cold pressed coffee for beers in the past, but never put the beans in the boil. Im curious as to how this tastes. Just might try it this way.

I brewed this "white stout ". We made a 10 gal batch and bottle half of it accidentally without adding the cold pressed coffee. So we added it to the second half and this way we both had 1/2 with coffee and 1/2 without. We called this our "Albinos are misunderstood White Stout" and for bottle cap identification we did "A+" for the coffee and "A-" for without.

After a few months of aging they came out fantastic. At first the coffee flavor was just too much. But now they're awesome.

- ISM NRP

I cant find the kit on there website anymore, what kind of yeast did they pair with this?
I know it's been two years, but since no one answered the above reply, I'm gonna ask the same question - what yeast did you guys use?

I'm gonna assume, (I know, I know, when you "assume" - you make an "ASS" out of "U" and "ME" (an old Felix Unger/"The Odd Couple' joke), but, I'd really like to know the answer .....-..... OR, in the alternative, since I can't get a response, and, it's supposed to be a somewhat sweet, malt forward brew, I guess I'll just have to try S-04, ..... (I only use dry yeast, since I don't live close enuff to buy liquid yeasts!)

Latest posts

Back