White Stout - General comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DapperDan15

Reaction score
I am gearing up to do a "White stout" soon and was wondering if the term is as accurate as it could be. The recipe is as follows.

Fermentables
2# American White Wheat
1# Flaked Oats
1# Flaked Barley
3.6 oz Crystal 50L
7.5# Light LME
10 oz American Carapils (Dextrine Malt)

Hops
1.321 oz Challenger (60 min boil)
1 oz Fuggles (10 min boil)

Yeast
It calls for Danstar-Nottingham but my local shop only carries Wyeast so I was thinking of using Wyeast 1056

1 tsp Irish Moss

Primary (7 days)

In Secondary (14 days)
1 tsp Gelatin
4 oz Cocoa Nibs

Bottle and age for 21 days

Mash oats and grains in separate bags. Mash oats an additional 20 minutes over the 60 minute mash-out.

I was also going to add 5# frozen Blueberries to the secondary to make it a Blueberry White Stout.

I was just curious about the term "White Stout". Is it good to use? Will someone, somewhere cringe if those two words are used in conjunction to describe a beer?

Also, can I substitute the yeast?

Any comments on the blueberry addition is welcome as well. Thanks.

Looks like a slightly heavy blonde ale with a slick mouthfeel to me. I wouldn't call it a "White Stout," though. If you added some orange and/or coriander, you'd capture a bit of the witbier style, lending credence to the "white" monicker. As for the stout part, I just don't see it. I think I know what you're going for, but I don't think the name is apt.

Boddington's is a commercialized English bitter that is served on nitro. The clone recipes sometimes even call for a pinch of roasted barley. But I'd never call it a stout of any sort.

Of course, it's your beer, so you can name it whatever you want!

The recipe looks decent, if a bit sweet. I'd use an English ale strain over 1056.

Certainly you can call it what you want. The problem I have is that the defining characteristic of a stout is the roasted character from the dark malts, without that it's not a stout to me. That's in contrast to some of the other hybrid styles - like variations on an IPA for example. The defining characteristic there is the hops, so you apply that to other styles and you could call it a hybrid IPA. Or Belgians, since the defining characteristic is usually the yeast if you make some other recipe with that yeast I would buy calling it a "Belgian" whatever. If you can make something that has a lot of roasted character, coffee, etc. flavors and is still very pale in color then I'd go along with that.

Yuri, thank you for the pointer on the yeast. I am new, this will be my second brew, and need all the help I can get.

I am still working on a name, with the wife's help and will update when we decide on one. I found the recipe and added the fruit for something different. It claimed to be a white stout and I just wanted other input on that. Needless to say, I'm still going to make it. And, beer gods willing, my wife will enjoy it. Thanks for the advice guys. I will update on brew day.

Latest posts

Back