White spots on a Barleywine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rohlk

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine 9 months ago and have moved it 4 times(from primary to secondary to tertiary to whatever) and have kept a very clean environment but after the 9 months in carboys I have recently seen two white spots about the size of an eraser head on top of the barleywine. I've kept things very clean and have purged each vessel with CO2 upon racking(CO2 just to keep oxygen out). Its been sitting in its fourth vessel for about 5 months with one of those rubber orange carboy toppers with the white caps on it. I was wondering if the batch can be racked out to a fifth vessel and leave the top bit behind without much of a problem? I plan on dry hopping this eventually(soon actually)before bottling and need to know if this is a keeper or a dumper. I suppose I could just sample a bit from below and see whats up. The white spots don't seem to have "hair" and I figure it should be ok, just need some outside info. Here is the recipe. I know, I got ridiculous on the hop bill. http://hopville.com/recipe/1195400 Any feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

I know this won't answer your question but it may elaborate a little; why did you rack it to so many different vessels?

I would think that it would be fine to rack it once and leave it in the secondary, keeping risk of contamination and oxidation to a minimum.

I racked it every couple months to get it off the yeast cake. I always purge with CO2, as I stated earlier. Oxygen isn't a concern.

Back