White specks on my Scoby, contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

changodaman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new kombucha brewer here. I started a 1 gallon batch last week and I noticed these little white specks on my Scoby. Is this normal Scoby formation or some contamination? https://imgur.com/jNSd4hi

My recipe was basically 1 gallon of black tea, 1 cup sugar, about 1 cup starter tea (maybe a bit more) and 1 Scoby. I got the starter tea and Scoby from someone else.

I did some searching online and found mixed results, some pictures look similar and the websites say it's normal. Just wanting to be safe. Thanks for looking!

looks normal...if the white specs grow and get hairy...they you have mold. Can't see any as of this photo.

I have seen those before. From my reading, it is most likely strong healthy scoby bacteria forming on the top. They will spread. If they get hairy...then it is mold. Looks familiar and fine to me.

Back