White Labs WLP773 from the vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it sweetens the deal for anyone, check out what White Labs just told me when I asked about the potential need to update their FAQ to mention the new packaging versus the "old" vials.

"All vault releases will actually be in vials only. Purepitch is restricted to core strains as vault is done in small batch and aimed at homebrewers only."

We all can keep living the dream of yesteryear with the old packaging.

Spread the word from the mountain tops to the valleys...[emoji111][emoji15][emoji41]

For these vault yeasts....how long are they typically available once they are producing em & will they only be available directly from White Labs?

For these vault yeasts....how long are they typically available once they are producing em & will they only be available directly from White Labs?

Only sold to those who pre-ordered directly before it hits the total needed (before the counter gets to zero orders needed). "If" (not a sure thing) they happen to produce more than they needed for the pre-orders, they sell it to whoever asks for it first via the Yeastman portal. I'm not sure why they don't allow any more individual orders from the vault page once it is in production, but still sell extra via Yeastman, but that seems to be how they do it. For example, I can order WLP815 from Yeastman right now, but the public facing vault says "140 orders" still needed. Yeastman seems to be more directed at businesses.....but they still let me make an account as some random dude...so who knows what is up with that.

Only sold to those who pre-ordered directly before it hits the total needed (before the counter gets to zero orders needed).

I wonder how many LHBS preorder some just to put in their fridge. They could charge whatever they want or only offer it to preferred customers.

I wonder how many LHBS preorder some just to put in their fridge. They could charge whatever they want or only offer it to preferred customers.

Not sure. I know mine has a couple of the "old" style tubes in their fridge. I assume those mean whatever strain they are is either from the vault or are from limited releases since as far as I know all "normal" WL yeast is sold in the new purepitch packets at this point?

Funny to see a push for a cider yeast so far from cider season. I signed up for two a few months ago with the hopes that delivery would come closer to Oct-Nov. Question about the 80% attenuation in 12 Plato sweet cider. Am I correct in calculating that this would give you about 5% ABV? 12 Plato seems a bit low for a quality sweet cider, what would you expect the result with a higher starting gravity? Would it stop fermenting at the same 5% ABV and just leave more residual sugar? I typically bump up my OG by adding honey, fermenting to dry, add priming sugar (or honey) and bottle carb in champagne bottles. So I suppose if I want to bottle carb, I'd need to bottle before 80% attenuation has been reached, is that correct? Maybe allowing the cider to reach it's max attenuation, age, and then keg might be a better option for this yeast strain.

Funny to see a push for a cider yeast so far from cider season. I signed up for two a few months ago with the hopes that delivery would come closer to Oct-Nov. Question about the 80% attenuation in 12 Plato sweet cider. Am I correct in calculating that this would give you about 5% ABV? 12 Plato seems a bit low for a quality sweet cider, what would you expect the result with a higher starting gravity? Would it stop fermenting at the same 5% ABV and just leave more residual sugar? I typically bump up my OG by adding honey, fermenting to dry, add priming sugar (or honey) and bottle carb in champagne bottles. So I suppose if I want to bottle carb, I'd need to bottle before 80% attenuation has been reached, is that correct? Maybe allowing the cider to reach it's max attenuation, age, and then keg might be a better option for this yeast strain.

The timing is a little crazy, but for me it doesn't matter since I plan to bank the majority of the yeast. I will probably do a one gallon test batch to see how it performs, but will make sure I have some banked for use later.

I’m sure your banking system is better than mine. I tried to recover and save some of mine from last year. While I was able to ferment with what I had, the taste wasn’t the same this year.
I have banked some cider in the freezer for when the yeast is available. I hope this will work better.

.... Question about the 80% attenuation in 12 Plato sweet cider. Am I correct in calculating that this would give you about 5% ABV? ....I typically bump up my OG by adding honey, fermenting to dry, add priming sugar (or honey) ....
Both time I have used this yeast, my original purchase and my “recovered” yeast, both have fermented dry and were able to bottle carb when priming sugar was added. I have to pasteurize my cider with this yeast as it will over carb with the amount of back sweetening/bottle priming I do.
My cider last year had and SG of 1.056.

Both time I have used this yeast, my original purchase and my “recovered” yeast, both have fermented dry and were able to bottle carb when priming sugar was added. I have to pasteurize my cider with this yeast as it will over carb with the amount of back sweetening/bottle priming I do.
My cider last year had and SG of 1.056.

Curious then, how do they claim 80% attenuation? What temperature did you ferment at? I know that some yeasts leave residual sugar if you ferment at the lower temperature limits, perhaps this is the case with this one? If it ferments dry I'd be very upset with their claims.

I’m sure your banking system is better than mine. I tried to recover and save some of mine from last year. While I was able to ferment with what I had, the taste wasn’t the same this year.
I have banked some cider in the freezer for when the yeast is available. I hope this will work better.

I think the success or failure of this yeast blend having reproduceable results is going to be based on if the saving/banking is pre versus post ferment. I can't imagine the ratios of wine and beer strains in this mix keeping steady ratios after one generation is allowed to grow naturally. Something is going to dominate and change the character. That is part of why I signed up for 2 vials from the Vault. I want to bank at least one entire vial (spread over a few smaller frozen vials), and then use the other vial for some small batch tests with different source juices and gravities. What will it do to a 1.5 OG grocery store juice? What about a grocery store unfiltered cider? A better quality raw juice meant for cider? What about something with a couple pounds of honey added to it (a cyser)? Will it still attenuate to the same percentage? Will it always crap out with the perfect level of residual sugar?

All those tests with a nice big starter of course. My hope is that by banking what is essentially "original" yeast, the character will be retained and I can keep that dream alive for at least a while.

Curious then, how do they claim 80% attenuation? What temperature did you ferment at? I know that some yeasts leave residual sugar if you ferment at the lower temperature limits, perhaps this is the case with this one? If it ferments dry I'd be very upset with their claims.
I stuck it in my basement and ignored it. This was spring time, so I'd put it around 65-68. I think the 80% is malt sugar and not the other sugar in cider that I am totally drawing a blank on now. My take is it ferments the one sugar completely, and leaves some of the malt sugar behind. This is backed up by my less than cultured taste.

I probably should care more, but it makes damn fine cider from the local cider I can get here in southern WI, and that is what is most important to me.

a sacc yeast unable to consume 20% of the sugar from apple juice just defies belief with me, and when such basic information seemed wrong it really made me not want to use it.
I've been very happy with my results (largely DV10, with HST for Ice Cider) so I haven't been interested but if the number of orders needed gets low I'll toss in several to get us there.

Done.

This is the text of the email I got 5 days ago.

You have released the yeast! WLP773 Scottish Cider Yeast Blend has been released from The Vault and will be shipped in the next few weeks. You will soon receive this exciting blend of two ale strains and one wine strain.

The credit card you provided to place your initial order will be charged. If your card has since expired, a Customer Service Representative will send you an email to update your information so we can process and complete the transaction. WLP773 Scottish Cider Yeast Blend is currently in production, and shipping is expected to begin in the next few weeks.

Please note: This, like others from The Vault, is a one-of-a-kind, specialty strain. Below are a few notes we've compiled to help with your future brew day.

Unlike a lot of ale strains that typically dry out most ciders, this unique blend of Saccharomyces strains will leave some residual sweetness for a smooth mouthfeel. This strain is perfect for those looking for a still cider with some lingering apple characteristic or a dryer sparkling cider.

Thank you for participating in The Vault. To place future orders of specialty yeast strains from White Labs, visit whitelabs.com/thevault.

...me too....payment processed message late yesterday [emoji111]

No doubt...been about a month since card was charged...

Checking out their new mobile app now.

Last edited:
I am guessing they put in production about the time they charged us. I am also willing to bet we hear from them soon.

Looking forward to trying this, we have five gallons of apple juice sitting in the kitchen waiting.

Tick tock, tick tock. Haha. Luckily it has still been pretty cold here in case I miss it in the mailbox for a day or two.

I'd rather wait till Fall now, yeast will be useless to me until September.

IMG_2710.jpg
Look what came today.

Back