White Labs Vials Glue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
Does anybody have a good method of getting the label glue off of the white labs vials? I have about 6 of them that I plan on using for washing yeast. I've tried using Goof-Off but it ruined the plastic on one so now I only have 6 left.

And yes, I know that I can buy brand new ones from Amazon I'm just too frugal (ok, just too cheap) to buy them when I have 6 on hand that will work just fine.

I haven't tried it but OxyClean works for me on beer labels. Don't see why it wouldn't on the WL labels. Give that a shot.

"Goo Gone" worked very well for the 20 or so vials I cleaned (I got it at Lowes or Home Depot, don't remember which).

Edit: The glue used on WL vials is the toughest stuff I've ever encountered. Oxyclean doesn't even start to affect it.

Are you going to use them for slants? If so how are you going to sterilize them?

I don't know about slanting, but I was planning on using them for storing washed yeast. I figure they'd take up less room in the fridge than the mason jars I've used in the past. As far as sterilizing them goes, all I was planning on doing was soaking them in starsan for about 5-10 minutes then filling them with the yeast slurry and calling it good.

"Goo Gone" worked very well for the 20 or so vials I cleaned (I got it at Lowes or Home Depot, don't remember which).

Edit: The glue used on WL vials is the toughest stuff I've ever encountered. Oxyclean doesn't even start to affect it.

I know what you mean about that glue, that's some serious stuff. Is "Goo Gone" different than "Goof Off"? "Goof Off" is some seriously toxic stuff, I think it has toluene or something similar in it. It works great for degreasing and cleaning up oil paint and sticker glue off of glass or metal things, but polyester bottles, not so much.

Someone on Reddit said he used goo-gone and that the vials were usable as tap handles but not as clear as they once were. Something like that.

I soaked mine in oxyclean for 24 hours and had no joy getting the glue off. I did another 24 hours in double the oxyclean with no joy, again. I gave up and threw them in a drawer until I can remember to get some goo-gone.

I know what you mean about that glue, that's some serious stuff. Is "Goo Gone" different than "Goof Off"? "Goof Off" is some seriously toxic stuff, I think it has toluene or something similar in it. It works great for degreasing and cleaning up oil paint and sticker glue off of glass or metal things, but polyester bottles, not so much.

Yes, very different than goof off. It's a citrus oil based cleaner. I used the goo gone gel spray. It doesn't take much gel, and then I used paper towels and wiped it until the glue came off. I cannot say that I noticed a difference in the PET after using the goo gone so if there was it was minimal. I was pleasantly surprised with how easily the glue came off with this product as I had tried several cleaners I had around the house prior to going out and buying this stuff.

I use adhisive remover pads, the kind that are used by healthcare people to remove tape. After soaking the tube in water I peel the bulk of the label off (so I get the freebes) then a couple of wipes and it is clean.

I've had luck filling the vials with hot water. Cap em and let them sit for a few mins. Softens the glue and you can peel them carefully. A couple wipes with zippo lighter fluid takes the remaining glue right off and doesn't hurt the plastic at all.

To sterilize them, fill em with cheap vodka, shake, dump out, fill with starsan, dump, and use.

I use adhisive remover pads, the kind that are used by healthcare people to remove tape. After soaking the tube in water I peel the bulk of the label off (so I get the freebes) then a couple of wipes and it is clean.

Where do you get the 'remover pads'?

I used WD-40 and the glue comes right off. Just spray, let sit for a short moment, wipe off with old cloth/rag.

EDIT: I guess I should have said that I peel the label off first.

I've used baby oil with success, peel the label off carefully then wipe. Use dish soap to get residual oil off.

I used WD-40 and the glue comes right off. Just spray, let sit for a short moment, wipe off with old cloth/rag.

EDIT: I guess I should have said that I peel the label off first.

I kinda figured the label part. I'll try the WD-40 in a few minutes and let you know how it goes.

I kinda figured the label part. I'll try the WD-40 in a few minutes and let you know how it goes.

Dude! That worked great! Who knew WD-40 would dissolve glue? I had those things on the kitchen counter for a month trying to figure out how to get them clean. I'll use that one again. Thanks man!

Dude! That worked great! Who knew WD-40 would dissolve glue? I had those things on the kitchen counter for a month trying to figure out how to get them clean. I'll use that one again. Thanks man!

No problem, glad I could help. :mug:

Back