white labs liquid 001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnDeFiNeD_EK-808

Reaction score
Anybody ever get a slight sour smell or taste using this yeast? I have used it twice and both batches have this problem. Evey other batch i used muntons dry. So im just trying to pin point if its the yeast or some kind of infection

IMO Muntons yeast is on the low end of the spectrum. Dry is somewhat low. Liquid is better because it allows far more options. So if you have a sour result with WL001 as compared to Muntons I would look elsewhere for any problem you are experiencing.

No, 001 is very clean. What kind of beers was it used in? If you list recipes and procedures it might help some of the experienced people on here to pinpoint a cause to your off flavors/aromas.

ForumRunner_20130327_160231.png

Is this the beer you referenced in the other post? If so, it sounds like it was in the primary for only a week before cold crashing. It will benefit greatly from being in primary or secondary for at least 2 weeks to let the yeast clean up the intermediate byproducts of fermentation.

That is correct. I had a problem with my air lock at that point and couldnt get another one till 3 days later. So that was the reason for cold crashing so early. I thought because i hit lower than my estimated gravity it would be ok

Latest posts

Back