White Labs Clarity Ferm Maximum Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmtrees

Reaction score
Does anyone know if White Labs Clarity Ferm denatures at any specific temperature? I use it in every beer I make because my wife has a gluten sensitivity. In the batch I made today, I'm using Imperial POG Kveik and planning to ferment in the 90s. I've never fermented that high, and it occurred to me as I was pitching the Clarity Ferm that the high fermentation temps might affect the enzyme. I tried looking on White Labs' website for a maximum temperature, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone here have any idea whether it will work to reduce gluten at high fermentation temps?

I considered waiting to pitch until after fermentation had subsided, but I understand it's not as effective once the wort isn't circulating from fermentation. I could always pitch more after fermentation temps have subsided just to be safe, but I'd rather not, if I don't have to.

I emailed them once to ask what temp range and alcohol tolerance it works best at, because I was suspicious of its effectiveness at 50 degrees. they confirmed it did work at lager temps, but didn’t give me an upper bound. They also said it was fine to use after primary ferment, so I guess you can try that if you are concerned. I ended up getting the 1 liter bottle direct from them and just double dose everything now and haven’t had an issue since. So I would email them and check or just dose before and after ferment. Not worth risking it for me.

That bottle is more concentrated, so a double dose is just 5 ml by my calculations. Keep it in the fridge.

Now that's a good idea. I'm going to go see if I can do the same (buy the 1 liter bottle, I mean)

Looks like there is one available here, if you want: Clarity Ferm Bulk - 1 Liter - Home Brewing Co

That's wildly cheaper than buying the little vials, if you brew large volumes. I only brew 2.5 gallons at a time, though, so it looks like I would end up basically breaking even by the time the bottle went bad. Alas!

After Spivey24's comment, I went ahead and emailed White Labs with my question. Here was their response, in case anyone has the same question in the future:

"As long as you are following the proper dosing rates, using this product for warmer fermentations like Kveik should not present any problems."

Looks like there is one available here, if you want: Clarity Ferm Bulk - 1 Liter - Home Brewing Co

That's wildly cheaper than buying the little vials, if you brew large volumes. I only brew 2.5 gallons at a time, though, so it looks like I would end up basically breaking even by the time the bottle went bad. Alas!

Even better yet, is buying directly from White Labs. I just placed an order yesterday for far less than any other place I could find.

Even better yet, is buying directly from White Labs. I just placed an order yesterday for far less than any other place I could find.

Because you need a business account to order from them directly, a friend who is owner/brewer at a commercial brewery ordered a 1L version for us yesterday. I brew at a shared brewhouse and at least five of us use clarity ferm regularly - we'll cover the cost of this in a couple of a months (compared to the vials) and then the next 280 batches will be for free LOL. But the real plus is that we won't be needing to worry if we have any - the places I've bought from almost never have more than two or three of the vials in stock, if they have any at all.

Because you need a business account to order from them directly, a friend who is owner/brewer at a commercial brewery ordered a 1L version for us yesterday. I brew at a shared brewhouse and at least five of us use clarity ferm regularly - we'll cover the cost of this in a couple of a months (compared to the vials) and then the next 280 batches will be for free LOL. But the real plus is that we won't be needing to worry if we have any - the places I've bought from almost never have more than two or three of the vials in stock, if they have any at all.

I do not have a business account. When you sign up for an account, you can select "homebrewer" as one of the options. I just got confirmation the order was shipped.

As long as it has been properly stored, the enzymes will work through the gluten at any fermentation temperature. I've been putting off buying a bulk amount as it supposedly has a six month refrigerated shelf life.

The white labs tech sheet says it is shelf stable for 12 months. Hold product at 39-46˚F (4-8˚C) for extended shelf life.

Unfortunately, White Labs is out of stock for the 1 liter bottle, which is $48 + shipping. Seems like quite the deal vs ~$4/10ml.

Any good alternative supply reccomendations?

Back