White IPA without wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoboViejo

Reaction score
Just for fun, I made a recipe for an IPA without dark malts, my intention was to create a white IPA but not the common Whitbier with lot of hops...I used:
11 lb Maris Otter
.5 lb Carapils
.75lb Munich
WLP001 Pure pitch

1 oz Cascade (60 mins)
2 oz Summer (30 mins)
1 oz Summer (10 mins)

will add 1 oz Summer as dry hop for 5 days

Color is very light, and I am expecting hops flavor to overcome with this malt base...is it Ok to call it "White IPA:confused:" anyway?

I made a white IPA with wheat and 2 Row and for some reason it was fairly dark, so whether it is pale or not, it still sounds like an IPA nonetheless. Mine had Cascade, Simcoe, Citra, Palasade and Mosiac. Even though it was darker, I still called it a white IPA given the grain bill.

The white part from white ipa is a reference to a witbier, or a Belgian white wheat. This style gets its main characteristics from a combo of the wheat, some adjuncts, and the yeast. But this style is typically very lowly hopped. So when you're calling it a white ipa, you really should be calling it a hoppy white wheat.
So, no, yours is just a really light colored ipa, unfortunately. Especially because Munich is darker than wheat, so if you're wanting white, you're shooting yourself in the foot there.

There's no reason that a beer made with only wheat and two row would get dark, unless you scorched the wort in the boil, or you oxidized it, or you forgot to mention that you used extract.

With no wheat, no traditional witbier yeast, and none of the usual spicing, I'm not sure in what way this could be a "white" IPA, but it's your beer, so call it what you like.

And don't most IPA grainbills lack dark malts, anyway? I'm also confused by the "IPA recipe w/o dark malts" comment.

With no wheat, no traditional witbier yeast, and none of the usual spicing, I'm not sure in what way this could be a "white" IPA, but it's your beer, so call it what you like.

And don't most IPA grainbills lack dark malts, anyway? I'm also confused by the "IPA recipe w/o dark malts" comment.

agreed. What makes it a "white IPA" is a malt bill similar to a witbier (50% wheat or more usually) and the hop bill of an IPA. Yeast can be american or belgian. But its like trying to call something an IPA without any hops.

but also, I would like triple the total amount of hops in there if you even want to call it an IPA. As it stands, thats a pale ale

Unless you are trying to follow specific rules or guidelines, do what you want to the beer and call it whatever you feel it deserves. White, dark, pale, imperial, etc. just my opinion though.

Obviously you can call it whatever you want, but IMO it's nice to use common terms when sharing beers with people so they know what to expect. Certainly if you're going to post the recipe in the database or something don't categorize it as a white IPA. I agree with m00ps, looks like a high gravity APA. Unfortunately white IPA itself seems to be a muddied term, as folks use it to describe both styles brewed with Belgian and clean American yeast. I guess American wheat IPA is too long, though it would be nice if commercial brewers would clearly distinguish between the two as I really don't care for the former.

Made an all barley beer with witbier yeast and it came out wonderfully, give it a shot.

Really most of the witbier character comes from the yeast so as long as you have that then you`ll have the right flavor and taking the wheat out makes it a bit lighter in the mouth but still tasty...

Edit: wait, this is a "White IPA" that has neither wheat NOR a witbier yeast? The hell? You have to have at least one or the other or what's the point in calling it that.

valid all of your comments...will try to increase the hops in dry hop to rescue the "IPA" part of it :D

valid all of your comments...will try to increase the hops in dry hop to rescue the "IPA" part of it :D

If this is a 5 gallon batch, then you do actually have enough IBUs to at least call it an IPA. It is a very light IPA, but again, without having any wheat or some kind of Belgian Wit yeast, it's still just an IPA.

Latest posts

Back