White IPA Recipe Formulation-wheat, hops questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryancorbett2

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am putting together a White IPA recipe to be ready around christmas time, going to brew it this Saturday. I have never used Wheat malt before and was hoping that some of you could bring some insight and possibly look over my projected recipe and give some advice. I recently brewed a winter spiced ale (first time I ever brewed with spices) and tasted it when I moved it to the secondary and it was pretty darn good, so I am excited to drink that soon!

Winter Wonderland White IPA
1.066 OG; 1.016 FG; 70 IBU; 6.5% ABV; 4 SRM;

Grain Bill
Rahr 2 Row 8.5 lbs 65%
White Wheat 4.5 lbs 34%

Hop Schedule
60 min -- .75 oz Warrior
20 min -- 1.0 oz Cascade
10 min -- 1.0 oz Glacier
10 min -- 1.0 oz Cascade
5 min -- 1.0 oz Glacier
5 min -- 1.0 oz Cascade
DRY HOP??? Not sure what hops I would like to dry hop with yet, ideas?

American Ale Wyeast 1056

Extras: Whirlfloc tablet at 15 mins left in boil.
1 oz sweet orange peel at 7 mins left in boil
1 oz Ground Coriander at 7 mins left in boil*
*never used coriander, what do you all think about using it with this recipe?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies!

And I am not opposed to switching the hops. If that is maybe too heavy on the grapefruit with the cascade, maybe switch to something more spicy and floral would be more appropriate for this?

Not sure about the corriander , never really like it in beer. If you are going for a wheat flavor I would suggest subbing out couple pounds of the pale for more wheat. I would also recomend rice hulls for easier lautering. Hop profile looks ok. Should be a tasty brew. Maybe dry hop with some sorachi ace for a citrus/lemon aroma.

Not sure about the corriander , never really like it in beer. If you are going for a wheat flavor I would suggest subbing out couple pounds of the pale for more wheat. I would also recomend rice hulls for easier lautering. Hop profile looks ok. Should be a tasty brew. Maybe dry hop with some sorachi ace for a citrus/lemon aroma.

I definitely am not 100% that I will use the coriander, still thinking about it. Thanks for the tips on the wheat amount. That is one of the things I was not sure about. I never had to use the rice hulls before, but because of the amount of wheat in this one I may have to use them. Thanks for the tips!

1 oz is a bit much coriander. I used .75 oz in a wit and it was very overpowering. I put .5 oz of lightly toasted coriander in my White IPA and it was perfect.

Using Glacier hops are a good choice. The tangerine/orange juice character that I get from them would probably fit really well in a White IPA. I might have to steal that idea from you.

1 oz is a bit much coriander. I used .75 oz in a wit and it was very overpowering. I put .5 oz of lightly toasted coriander in my White IPA and it was perfect.

Using Glacier hops are a good choice. The tangerine/orange juice character that I get from them would probably fit really well in a White IPA. I might have to steal that idea from you.

Thanks for the tip on the coriander. And go ahead and use that idea on the glacier hops! What do you think on the wheat amount? Since my first post and someone advised increasing the wheat amount I was thinking:
Rahr 2 Row 7.5 lbs -- 57%
White Wheat 5.5 lbs -- 43%

I just have not used wheat before and not sure how much is appropriate to get a slight wheat flavor to it.

Ive made some wonderful wheat beers with a 60/40 wheat/pale mix. Don't fear the wheat malt! They drop out clear after a couple weeks carbing in the keg too.

Recipe in recent Zymurgy (by Zainasheff) for a Tropical IPA called for half and half barley/wheat. I brewed it a few weeks back and have tasted one, it is a nice mix of sweet/bitter/hop flavor. I didn't use rice hulls and did ok on the mash. Not saying you shouldn't use them - I would - just agreeing with jigtwins - both in procedure and flavor considerations - 'Don't fear the wheat'.

Recipe in recent Zymurgy (by Zainasheff) for a Tropical IPA called for half and half barley/wheat. I brewed it a few weeks back and have tasted one, it is a nice mix of sweet/bitter/hop flavor. I didn't use rice hulls and did ok on the mash. Not saying you shouldn't use them - I would - just agreeing with jigtwins - both in procedure and flavor considerations - 'Don't fear the wheat'.

Awesome! I have brewed a few Rye beers before and never had to use rice hulls. I just lauter slow like I always do and it seems to go perfect! Excited to brew this beer!

Here is what I was thinking after the feedback (thanks!):

Winter Wonderland White IPA
1.066 OG; 1.016 FG; 70 IBU; 6.5% ABV; 4 SRM;

Grain Bill
Rahr 2 Row 7.5 lbs 58%
White Wheat 5.5 lbs 42%

Hop Schedule
60 min -- .75 oz Warrior
20 min -- 1.0 oz Cascade
10 min -- 1.0 oz Glacier
10 min -- 1.0 oz Cascade
5 min -- 1.0 oz Glacier
5 min -- 1.0 oz Cascade
DRY HOP
7 days -- 2 oz Glacier
7 days -- 2 oz Cascade

American Ale Wyeast 1056

Extras: Whirlfloc tablet at 15 mins left in boil.
1 oz sweet orange peel at 7 mins left in boil
.5 oz Freshly Ground Coriander seeds at 7 mins left in boil

Thanks for the tips everyone!

This looks amazing. It won't be far off a Deschutes Chainbreaker, but with a cleaner profile from the American yeast (vs Belgian yeast in the chainbreaker) and a bit heavier on the citrus hop aroma. I'm currently working through a keg of something very similar (replace the glacier with centennial and its basically identical to yours), and its a house favorite so far. I'm personally a big fan of coriander, so I used a whole ounce and i do not find it overpowering at all. The lemony, spicy coriander flavors complement the orange peel and big hop profile very well.

This looks amazing. It won't be far off a Deschutes Chainbreaker, but with a cleaner profile from the American yeast (vs Belgian yeast in the chainbreaker) and a bit heavier on the citrus hop aroma. I'm currently working through a keg of something very similar (replace the glacier with centennial and its basically identical to yours), and its a house favorite so far. I'm personally a big fan of coriander, so I used a whole ounce and i do not find it overpowering at all. The lemony, spicy coriander flavors complement the orange peel and big hop profile very well.

Thanks! That's awesome! I am very excited to brew this! I went to the coop today and bought the coriander seeds and they smelled great. I am glad you have had success with a similar recipe. Have you ever bottled that beer before? If yes, how do you carb? We always use priming sugar (corn sugar) and for this one I believe 4 ounces would be fine. I usually have around 4.8 gallons of beer after the trub loss and such.

Brewed this beer last saturday (11-2-13). Not really sure why my OG reading was .01 lower than projected (projected OG=1.066, ACTUAL=1.056, could be that I didn't stir and do a temp check halfway through. I just didn't want to lose my temp. I also know I need to replace the braided steel thing in the mash tun, but I don't know if that can cause my efficiency to go down.

Otherwise a fun brew day!

Back