White IPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaPhil

Reaction score
Lately I've been a big fan of the various white IPAs that have started to become more common. Specifically, I really liked New Belgium's Accumulation and Sweetwater's Whiplash.

Since it's still a fairly new style though, there's not a lot of recipes out there. I scoured the websites of the different commercial breweries that make them and went through 8 different recipes that are posted on here (some of them weren't ever brewed or had no posts in the thread). I combined what seemed to be popular and worked well and this is what I've come up with.

It's my first "original" recipe so go easy!

5.75 lb Pilsner
5.00 lb White wheat
1.25 lb Flaked Wheat
.625 lb Flaked Oats

Single infusion mash at 152

1 oz Bravo :60
1 oz Centennial :05
1 oz Citra :05
.5 oz Coriander :05
.5 oz dried orange peel :05
1 oz Citra :00

2 oz Amarillo dry hop 7 days

Yeast: WLP400 Belgian Wit. Should come close to a pitch rate of .75M/mL/Plato. Shooting for 68-70F for primary fermentation.

Estimated stats:
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.0%
IBU: 69.5
SRM: 4.5

My primary concerns are the IBU being too high (most recipes are closer to 55-60. Maybe just push the bravo back?) and exactly what flavor/aroma hops to use. The way to go seems to be doing a lot of citra late.

Thanks!

How did this turn out compared to whiplash? I'm looking to make something similar

Latest posts

Back