White film!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCasper

Reaction score
I have a Summit Pale Ale clone I brewed up about 6 months ago. Unfortunately this was the last time I brewed due to some work stuff that has taken priority (See: Taken over my life!). I was going to look into getting it bottled as I actually have this weekend free but I have found almost white film on top of the wort. Is this remnants of an infection or just par for the course after 6 months?

I am just looking for a go/no go on if I should bottle.

Thanks a billion!

Mike

We need a pic to be sure,but if it's just foamy streaks with some floaters in it,it's likelt ok. bit if it looks like a slimy film with bubbles & srteaky lines connecting them you could have trouble.

Classic sign of wild yeast/bacteria infection (think white film on a grape or plum, which is what fermented fruit into alcohol in the the ol days). Taste to make sure. If it tastes good, it probably is. You can use a microscope if you have access to one to make sure. Yeast is circular/oval, bacteria is dark and rod like.

Here is a picture. It does smell good though.

IMAG0300.jpg

Not necessarilly. I've had krausen bits with small floaters looking like they had mold on top. The beer is fine. So I thought the yeasty foamy bit's just tend to dry a little at the tops if given time to resemble mold or infection.
But that one looks like a polar ice cap!

Back