White Film on top of my Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARRitch

Reaction score
I put my Gose in the Carboy last Wednesday. I uncovered it tonight to see this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

image-3315738315.jpg

That does not look promising. Hard to say, but it looks like a potential infection. There are a couple of very distinctive growth patterns to typical infections, and this reminds me of one.

I appreciate your replies. The type of beer I made is a sour. Would that change anything?

Yes. If you brewed a sour, and pitched something in place of, or along with your yeast (e.g. Lacto, Brett, pedio) that is exactly what it should look like.

Thanks, scottland. I poured the dregs of a Choc Gose into my primary after I pitched my yeast. This is the first time I have seen this white film on any of my batches.

lol if this is an intentional sour, then it looks like it is supposed to! Congrats are in order, as opposed to condolences. :)

I also forgot to mention that I used acid malts. I appreciate the help!

I apologize that I left out that information. It is my first sour, and I wasn't expecting that!

I apologize that I left out that information. It is my first sour, and I wasn't expecting that!

You know when making a sour.... an infection is intentional, although if it's intentional it would no longer be an infection. :tank:

eobie said:
You know when making a sour.... an infection is intentional, although if it's intentional it would no longer be an infection. :tank:

Now I know! Thanks, eobie.

eobie said:
I would isolate the equipment you used for this batch and designate them as for sours only. Anything soft such as plastic, bungs, racking cane, beer thief, etc.

I'll do it. Thanks again!

Back