White film on top of boil water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagunga

Reaction score
I bought a new stainless steel pot for brewing yesterday. I washed the pot out with oxi fresh very well. Rinsed it many times until it was spotless. I dumped spring water into the pot for the wort. When I brought the water to a boil I noticed a thin white film appeared on top of the water. I skimmed it off best I could. Is this from the pot? The spring water? Will this hurt my yeast/fermentation/overall quality of the beer?

I always use Dawn soap for the first cleaning of all new equipment to get rid of the manufacturing oils they use. It could be those oils PBW and the like won't take that off.

Ah. I didn't think of the manufacturers oil. I figured the rigorous cleaning would have taken care of any residue. It was translucent in color and almost waxy to the touch. Checked on my fermentation when I got home. It's bubbling like crazy so no affect on the yeast so far. Just hope whatever was in the pot is nontoxic. Lol

Isn't Bar Keepers Friend the recommendation for cleaning new stainless steel?

Do you guys know if it will hurt the beer and my health? Lol

As far as I understand it, brewing with oil (avocados and coffee would be two examples) could kill head retention but not you. And the small amount of manufacturing oil you encounter certainly won't put you on the next train to the morgue. If the result is pleasant, I would continue drinking it. But I'm not know for my stellar health either...

no clue if it will hurt the beer, but this made me go clean my new pot with dawn dish soap and then some oxiclean. I plan on brewing with it the first time this weekend so hopefully, I do not get this white film

I would imagine they would use food grade oils in manufacturing cookware, although with modern supply chains I guess there's no guarantee of that.

Back