White film on Rhizomes, What should i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead_brewer

Reaction score
Hi everybody i'm starting a rhizomes planting in pots project, based on some hydrophonic techniques, i bought some assorted rhizomes varieties to try in my area (7 in total) from AHB, y received 2 a couple weeks ago and planted them right after, now they're growin great one is like 3 inches tall by now and the other is like 1 inch tall, the other 5 rhizomes arrived four days ago, put them in the freezer and today i took them out to take a look because i'm planning to plant them tomorrow and one of them have something like white film covering a great area of it and another one has a small white hairy spot, the question is this normal or i'm in trouble??

Here are the pics :(

US Golding​

Magnum​

Did you have them in the freezer or refrigerator? A quick search said refrigerate. I would wonder if they are damaged or dead if frozen.

But then again in Northern Climates, you dig things 4-6 feet deep to get below frost line. I'm sure the plants aren't that deep. So they must freeze in nature.

I'd brush them gently with a soft bristled brush under a stream of water then lay them out to dry. I'd also be tempted to mist them with star san to kill any remaining spores. I've used star san successfully to stop white powdery mold from growing on potted plants, didn't harm them one bit.

Last edited:
Did you have them in the freezer or refrigerator? A quick search said refrigerate. I would wonder if they are damaged or dead if frozen.

But then again in Northern Climates, you dig things 4-6 feet deep to get below frost line. I'm sure the plants aren't that deep. So they must freeze in nature.

sorry i meant to say fridge

I'd brush them gently with a soft bristled brush under a stream of water then lay them out to dry. I'd a
so be tempted to mist them with star san to kill any remaining spores. I've used star san successfully to stop white powdery mold from growing on potted plants, didn't harm them one bit.

Thank you Jay, really nice tip about star san another great use for it. :rock:

Back