White cloud on mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
Im a fairly novice mead maker, but I've been brewing beer for 8 years so I know about floaties, infections, etc. But, I have never seen this, so Im looking for some information. Raspberry honey mead, made 10/20/2021 with US-05 yeast. Hit terminal a few weeks ago and has just been sitting until I have time to bottle. Yesterday I was in the garage and took a looksy, everything looked normal. Today I got home and now there is a weird white cloud about the top inch. Fermenter hasnt been opened since the last nutrient addition on like 10/30. Pulled a little sample and it tastes fine, but I have no idea. Any idea of what this might be?
20211129_170504.jpg

That's a first for me, is it liquid or textured some how (foamy, gelatinous?) No odor when you disturb or extract a sample?

Liquid. It's literally like a white haze. No funky aromas. Stays in suspension pretty well when disturbed

Maybe try racking everything under it to see if it happens in the next container, I would experiment any way you think might work, more information is better. Clean and sterilize everything before and after just in case it can be transferred between brews.

Ya, that will probably be my next move. We'll see what happens. Im gonna mix in k-sorb and k-meta too, hopefully that might stave off any form of re-fermentation. Will keep you posted on what happens.

Back