white chunks in bottle,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopebassist

Reaction score
Forgive me brothers, for i have sinned,

i have been consuming my beer only a week after bottling.

however, in my remorse and shameful stare into my beer mug, i noticed white chunks in my beer. they stay at the bottom, and are a but curled, very very similar to the coagulated proteins during the boil.

i am not concerned about infection, it tastes great. just wondering what it is.

its an extract oatmeal stout, i did not go for the secondary with it because i dont care how clear stouts are.

is it protein? or just early stages of trub in the bottom of the bottle?

that's yeast sediment from the bottle conditioning. Avoid pouring the last oz of beer into your glass.

probably the mini yeast cake/sediment from the bottom of the bottle, leaving them longer will allow it to settle out better, and a careful pour should keep it in the bottle.

+1 on yeast sediment. let it carb for 2-3 weeks and sit in the fridge for 1 .... and don't pour out the last oz or so.

If Boston has been around your beer, I think I know what it is... And it ain't a good thing. J/K! :D

ya, i suppose it is. however, this is above and beyond the normal yeast sediment. almost like white yarn was cut up and thrown in the bottle. after pouring into glass, it remained in chunks and did not break up. not unlike the guy who found maggots in his beer. cracked another open (for lunch :) ) situation seemed to resolve it self, however, if it is just yeast, thats fine. but was wondering if its possible to be proteins due to the similar look of the hot break of the boil..

but hey!, thanks for the replys!

as long as it tastes good, i am drinking it. though i should wait the proper 3-4 weeks its too tempting, plus its better then the other stuff i got in bottles

this time it was in the primary for 4 months, then bottled. yaknow, like i said, it has resolved itself, (it was a week ago that i noticed it),
but, it had not even finished carbonating at that point, (but it was still gooood) so perhaps it was a yeast cluster or such, but it seemed quite solid. I thought it was strange looking.
**edit: i meant 4 weeks**

in my vast experience of 10 batches i had thought i seen it all :)

but its not looks that count :) whatever they were they slid down the throat nicely. and have since disappeared.

i am guessing, the reactivation of the priming sugar and yeast created some sort of hairballs that at the time of immaculate consumption had not yet resolved themselves

apparently there are 2 types of oatmeal stout
smooth and creamy and extra chunky

Back