Whit IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking for a good all grain White IPA recipe and found this post... SOMEONE has to have a good one.....

I've done 3 so far, just basically a wit with an IPA hop schedule with citrusy hops to compliment the wit yeast. I think this was my last. Its tuned to my taste in iPas which is crisp and super hoppy with very little bitterness lingering

4 lb pilsner
3lb wheat
2 lb flaked wheat
0.5 flaked oats
0.5 lb golden naked oats
0.25 acidulated
0.5 cane sugar

Mash 148 for 60min

At 5 min: 0.5 oz orange peel, 1 oz coriander

1oz Apollo at 60
4oz simcoe, 2oz citra, 1oz Apollo at 0
*steep flameout hops for 20-30min*
1 oz each dry hop

Magically delicious

Mine is a little more IPA-ish and a little less Belgian-ish on the grain bill (this assumes 70% efficiency), and uses a tasty, lemony/spicy Pacific-hop blend:

5gal batch
OG 1.059
FG 1.009
6.4% ABV, 63IBU

7 lb Belgian pilsner
2 lb wheat malt
1 lb flaked wheat
0.5 honey malt
1 lb rice syrup (or light corn syrup), or 0.75lb sugar or corn sugar

Mash 150F for 60min

At 5 min: zest from 1 big (or 2 small) fresh orange, 20g (about 3/4oz) cracked fresh coriander

Hops: Combine 4oz Motueka, 2oz Pacific Jade, and 2oz Sorachi Ace
1oz hop blend at 60min
2oz hop blend at 15min
2oz hop blend at flameout, then steeped 20-30min
3oz hop blend dry hop

Yeast: T-58; pitch at ~65°F and then just let it free-rise until done. My fermentation on this usually tops out about 82-83°F after about 2-3 days sitting at room temp. Then let it sit another 5-6 days, dry hop 3-4 days, and bottle, priming for ~2.7vol.

I had thought of a hoppy black wit before I decided on trying a black tripel a few months back. But I feared that once you get to meshing 3 styles together, it'd be a lot like mixing all the paints as a kid. Each color by themselves is awesome, and then mixing to get purple, orange, green etc is great too. But when you get greedy you end up with doody colored paint

I had thought of a hoppy black wit before I decided on trying a black tripel a few months back. But I feared that once you get to meshing 3 styles together, it'd be a lot like mixing all the paints as a kid. Each color by themselves is awesome, and then mixing to get purple, orange, green etc is great too. But when you get greedy you end up with doody colored paint

Well, I know that the creators of the recipe I listed above won a competition and got to brew a batch of it at 21st Amendment. It is probably a pretty well balanced beer. I bet if you left out the black malts you would have a nice wit IPA.

Back