Whiskey cured bacon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm intrigued. What else do you use in your cure? My first batch of bacon is due to be smoked tomorrow.

Just curious. Why Jameson vs something cheaper like Evan Williams or comparable? I use cheap whiskey when doing a long smoke on a brisket and it turns out nicely. I've thought about curing my own on more than one occasion just haven't got there yet.

Just curious. Why Jameson vs something cheaper like Evan Williams or comparable? I use cheap whiskey when doing a long smoke on a brisket and it turns out nicely. I've thought about curing my own on more than one occasion just haven't got there yet.

Cuz it's what I had and I really am not a fan of it so it will use it up. Personally I prefer Tullamore Dew if I'm drinking Irish whiskey.

Ahh gotcha. Well hope it turns out nicely. I need to sort out curing my own.

it's simple as pie . . . BTW after did a bit more research on the subject . . . just a thought
(wet cure process but <meh> )
http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/2008/05/whiskey-cured-bacon.html
  • The Canadian Whiskey with the maple sugar cure is a lot nicer. A bit sweet, but pleasantly so; the caramel overtones in the whiskey complimented and accented the maple and made this cure much more worthwhile than the plain Canadian.
  • The Rum-cured bacon is delicious, one of the best bacons I have ever had. The rum flavor held up beautifully to the cure and the smoke; one of our favorites.
  • The Bourbon also stood up well to the smoke and the cure, and delivered a rich, full bourbon flavor with delicious hints of vanilla and caramel. Another favorite, and another cure I will happily use again.
  • Southern Comfort gave me the most surprising results, because I really don't like the stuff to drink. None of the faintly citrus notes survived the cure or the smoke, but the bacon has a wonderful whiskey flavor accented with toasted cane sugar reminiscent of cotton candy. It's quite good, and as a result I'd be happy to make this variety of bacon again. Good thing, too, because somehow I've managed to acquire two bottles of Southern Comfort, and I have no intention ever to drink the nasty stuff.

Interesting read. One of the things that has stopped me is the cold smoke aspect of it. I found your thread with the link to the A-mazen-smoker thing that you posted. So to do it in my UDS, just light and place in the bottom of the fire box and let er smoke away if I'm reading that right. That may solve my issue and would make smoking some cheese easy peasy as well. Loves me some light apple smoked cheddar :mug:

Well there she is . . .
Whiskey cured and smoked with whiskey barrel chips.
It was just over 13 lbs when I started and I had to cut it to fit it in the fridge for curing.
I'll let ya know how it turned out after the party I made it for. For those invited that cant make it (check your facebook events) . . . well . . . more for me :tank:

204799_4305283882006_418179027_o.jpg

For the party ended up braising the whole hunks in Coke then cutting it into strips about 1inch thick then broiling them to crisp them up. . .
OMFG

I'm bumping this up because my first bacon attempt happens to be this this Maple/Bourbon Bacon Recipe from Punk Domestics (one of the coolest DIY food and drink blogs I've ever seen.)

I chose Wild Turkey as my Bourbon of Choice for this batch.

734609_10151197819039067_1146857250_n.jpg

Yeah I know I spelled Maple wrong, lol.

Saturday I plan on cold smoking it for a couple hours before I do the oven baking with bourbon phase of the recipe.

Revvy said:
I'm going to test my diy venturi cold smoker I've been hacking together with some salmon that I'm brining in a soysauce/maple syrup/wild turkey/black pepper mixture. Can't wait to try it.

Oh man, that sounds spectacular!

Back