Whiskey Barrel Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicheleE63

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Whiskey Barrel Stout recipe (kit) from BB today. It came with a very small bag of whiskey barrel oak chips. (2.5 oz) I'll rack to secondary and add in about 5 days. I'm wondering if this is enough to add a real noticeable flavor. I was thinking of soaking them in whiskey until I add them next weekend. Overkill? I want to notice the whiskey flavor, but I don't want to ruin my beer. I'm not a whiskey drinker, but I brew for the fun of it and try to brew things my friends will like too, not just what I like. I have found every answer to every question I've had about brewing on this forum, so lets have it - to soak, or not to soak - that is the question.

Having just the chips, my guess is that the whiskey flavor will be very short. I've tried different amounts of whiskey to soak Jack Daniel's barrel chips, and unless you add the whiskey too, you don't get too much whiskey flavor.

For a subtle taste, I'd say soak with 2-4oz and toss it all in the secondary. For a strong whiskey taste go with anywhere from 8-12oz, and of course in between will be 4-8oz or so.

jeburgdo said:
Having just the chips, my guess is that the whiskey flavor will be very short. I've tried different amounts of whiskey to soak Jack Daniel's barrel chips, and unless you add the whiskey too, you don't get too much whiskey flavor.

For a subtle taste, I'd say soak with 2-4oz and toss it all in the secondary. For a strong whiskey taste go with anywhere from 8-12oz, and of course in between will be 4-8oz or so.

Thanks jeburgdo. I thought that amount of barrel chips wouldn't do much. I'll try soaking and then adding the whiskey as well. Maybe 4-5 oz so I get a noticeable flavor. I better get brewing, thanks again!

I put the equivilent of 4oz of whiskey in my oak aged RIS and the whiskey flavor was minimal, but it also had a 1.106 OG, so I would guess if you tried it with an OG of say 1.050, the whiskey would be more noticable.

To start, use 4oz and add from there. Besides, it'll take at least 4oz of whiskey to soak and completely cover 2 oz of cubes.

Okay, I'm ready to start soaking the oak chips - one question, probably a dumb one but I have to ask - the recipe said to boil the oak chips for 5 minutes to sanitize. Do I need to do that if I'm soaking them in Jack Daniels for a few days before adding them when I rack to secondary? Seems like the JD would take care of any possible infections, but I just want to be sure. This is my first time using oak chips...

I wouldn't bother, and I've never had problems. That seems superfluous at best, and will lose all that good flavor at worst. I'm a bit surprised the recipe suggests it.

jeburgdo said:
I wouldn't bother, and I've never had problems. That seems superfluous at best, and will lose all that good flavor at worst. I'm a bit surprised the recipe suggests it.

The recipe doesn't call for soaking in whiskey, so I figured that was why it said to boil.... I 'm going to get these chips soaking ASAP - thanks again jeburgdo

Has anyone brewed this kit recently? I've got 5 gal in my primary currently and was trying to debate how much whiskey to use for soaking the chips. Thinking 6 oz for 5 days would be plenty of time and would give the final product a good whiskey flavor but not too over-powering. Any thoughts?

Back