Whirlpooling with a Wort Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
So, how can you get a good whirlpool going when using a wort-chiller? Usually, I siphon my wort through a colander to get out some of the spent hops as I go to primary. This works fairly well. For my next brew, I am thinking of doing a Dogfishhead 60 min. IPA clone (recipe from March-April issue of BYO). As there is a $hitload of hops in that recipe, I'm worried about pulling too much hops into the secondary.

Because I put my wort chiller into the boil for the last five minutes, I am not sure how I will get a good whirlpool. Should I whirlpool after the wort is chilled - being sure that my spoon is sanitary, etc.? Doing so would increase the time the cool wort sits prior to yeast-pitching . . . which is a no-no . . . but is it worth it to do the whirlpool correctly?

Whirlpool after the wort is cooled, a little splashing isn't a problem. Since my bazooka filter is stuck through the chiller, I can't take it out. The chiller is in the way, but I just stir a little harder. I let it settle for about 15 minutes, some people wait an hour. The dangereous time for wort is the 110F to 90F range. Once it is down to 75F there is less chance of bacterial growth.

Back