whirlpooling via pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_856er

Reaction score
Thinking about adding boil kettle whirlpool capability to current setup.

This will give me an excuse to get a second 10gal kettle and my first pump.

If I understand correctly, I can keep using pellet hops and my 50ft immersion chiller, and the March pump will tolerate all the break material and loose pellet hops without issue?

Want to make sure I'm not missing something fundamental before I pull the trigger.

Have my eye on a Stout kettle with tangential fitting.

BK

I am confused, are you looking to get a vessel just for whirlpooling or adding it to your current boil kettle or upgrading your boil kettle?

I believe he his just upgrading current boil kettle. I have a 15.5 gallon keggle, march pump and recirculate/whirlpool with an immersion chiller. When the weather gets hot around here I also add a fountain pump to recirculate ice water through the immersion chiller. Hop pellets are not an issue. if you use whole leaf hops you will need to use a hop spider thingy.

Thinking about adding boil kettle whirlpool capability to current setup.

This will give me an excuse to get a second 10gal kettle and my first pump.

If I understand correctly, I can keep using pellet hops and my 50ft immersion chiller, and the March pump will tolerate all the break material and loose pellet hops without issue?

Want to make sure I'm not missing something fundamental before I pull the trigger.

Have my eye on a Stout kettle with tangential fitting.

BK

I use the Stout kettle with the tangential inlit / March pump to whirlpool my beer. I typically use muslin hop bags in the boil and remove them prior to whirlpool, so I cannot speak for it not clogging up if you don't.....but that being said, It handles the whirlfloc "protein" break without any issues, so I am pretty sure that it will handle hop pellets as well. It leaves a nice tight trub cone and is very easy to drain off. Only downside is the amount of wort/break material I leave behind. All said and done, between the whirlpool, pump, and plate chiller, I loose 1 gallon of wort. But I have very little to no sediment going into the fermenter, which is what was important to me.

Also use whirlpool arm from bargainfittings.com + march pump. Have used it with tons of pellet hops, no issues here. You can see it in action in one of my brew day vids at around the 7:30 mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused, are you looking to get a vessel just for whirlpooling or adding it to your current boil kettle or upgrading your boil kettle?

Thanks guys - sounds like it'll work for me.

My plan is to replace my current boil kettle (10gal polarware) with the 9.2gal Stout tank with tangential inlet, and then repurpose the polarware as a mash tun or HLT.

BK

Back