Whirlpooling/Hot Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblank44

Reaction score
Would like to get some insight on this from some others.

Researched around on this but not finding the answer I need.

Following the boil, I whirlpool for about 15-20 min then let it sit for about 15-20 min. However, when I start to cool the last gallon has a bunch of hot break trub (White clumps of proteins and such). The hops were in a cone but not the hot break. How do I fit this so that I can get all the wort possible?

My thoughts:

Whirlpool, wait then whirlpool again once it drops out?
Or wait for a little while first then whirlpool and rest?

Is 20 minutes just not long enough?

It is causing me to get 5-5.5 gal instead of 6 like planned.

Info:
All grain 6 gallon batches. 15 gal kettles.

Thanks for the help!

Suck up every bit of hot break into the fermenter...I does no harm whatsoever and youll get more beer. I use a hop bag and have less than an ounce of wort left in the BK after transfer

Suck up every bit of hot break into the fermenter...I does no harm whatsoever and youll get more beer. I use a hop bag and have less than an ounce of wort left in the BK after transfer

Yeah but typically clogs up the plate chiller.

Oh...Not sure than. I use an IC

It's no biggie. I'm thinking it just needs to cool more so that the hot break can drop and be whirlpool into a cone. But want to see what others think, so thanks for the input!

I use a Blichmann HopBlocker and have few issues. That first bit out of the kettle has to be bled off then I plug it into the pump. Go real slow after you see the top of the blocker and pull up the slide. No issues with half pound of pellet hops in a 10 gal batch yesterday.

I use a Blichmann HopBlocker and have few issues. That first bit out of the kettle has to be bled off then I plug it into the pump. Go real slow after you see the top of the blocker and pull up the slide. No issues with half pound of pellet hops in a 10 gal batch yesterday.

Okay good stuff. Ill look into it! Does anyone know at what temp all the hotbreak will drop?

I used my blichmann hopblocker for the first time on a 10 gallon batch and the entire inside of the hopblocker was filled with hops! tips for using it properly?

It is critical that you get a good whirlpool going and then wait at least 15 min. I start at the top of the kettle and get the wort moving and then slowy work my way down in depth increasing speed as I go. There will be hop particles in the HopBlocker that will have worked their way in during the boil. I just open the valve quickly and drain off the first bit and then prime my pump. Going very slow at the end is necessary. YMMV

Back