Whirlpooling During Transferring to Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From my understanding, you're supposed to whirlpool and then let the wort sit until everything settles into a cone, then transfer to the fermenter. I use a hop spider so I really only have the break material to deal with, which I know some say to transfer, others say to not (that's not the point here). Either way, I can never get a nice cone of crud after whirlpooling.

So my question is, can you whirlpool while transferring from kettle to the fermenter (through ball valve) so the break is actively forced to the center while you're drawing wort from the dip tube where (presumably) there is less break material? To that point, I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort, but more or less curious if that is ever done.

I made myself a whirlpool paddle something like the link below except with just one fin. I attach it to my portable drill and spin it fast in my boil kettle for 20-30 sec. I then let it sit for 10 min or so as I am cleaning up and then transfer to my fermenter from the edge of the boil kettle with a stainless auto-siphon. It works well and definitely keeps some debris out of the fermenter. It certainly doesn't add much time to my brew day so there is really no reason not to do it. It also gives some aeration to the wort.

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Brewing_Paddle_Ultimate_Whirlpool_Paddle.html

From my understanding, you're supposed to whirlpool and then let the wort sit until everything settles into a cone, then transfer to the fermenter. I use a hop spider so I really only have the break material to deal with, which I know some say to transfer, others say to not (that's not the point here). Either way, I can never get a nice cone of crud after whirlpooling.

So my question is, can you whirlpool while transferring from kettle to the fermenter (through ball valve) so the break is actively forced to the center while you're drawing wort from the dip tube where (presumably) there is less break material? To that point, I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort, but more or less curious if that is ever done.
If you transfer as your whirlpooling, you will be loosing your inertia you created when whirlpooling. The transfer will cause a suction. It will definitely prevent coning and actually cause you to transfer more trub as it will be suspended as your actively whirlpool

Back