Whirlpooling during hop stand/steep ect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtracer

Reaction score
So I am two brews into using my new pump and Brew Hardware Spin cycle whirlpool attachment.....which works very well BTW.
Most all my brews have flame out hop additions, whether at flame out, 180* ect.

I have been running my whirlpool constantly the from flame out till racking.

My question is whats is your opinion on how best to utilize post boil hop additions and whirlpool. Run whirlpool the entire time, cycle on then off. No whirlpool till actual chilling?

As long as you're asking for opinion, I'm qualified. I think if you have a pump (and can whirlpool without lifting the lid), constant whirlpool is an advantage. I don't, so I'd have to lift the lid and stir. In that case, I don't, because I don't want the aroma to escape. It is sometimes argued that the whirlpool action more than compensates - intuitively, I don't think so. JMO.

Yes, I am looking for anyone's opinion, likely there is no right or wrong, but interested to hear how, and or why people do theirs. Thanks

fwiw, I run the whirlpool pump constantly from about T-5 to FO 'til I start running the wort through the chiller - whether I'm WP'ing hops or not.
Helps to get the trub 'n' stuff to drop in the middle of the kettle...

Cheers!

I've been doing a lot of whirlpools, and I run the pump the entire time.

I actually start the pump at 10 minutes prior to flame out when I add the Whirlfloc.

I've been doing two whirlpool additions. The first I put in at flame out and then whrilpool for 15 minutes.

By that time it's usually dropped down to 180 or so, when I pitch the 2nd batch of hops and let it go for another 15 minutes.

That seems to get it down to about 160, and then I kick in the chiller.

I run my pump in the wort recirculating loop for a few minutes prior to KO to sanitize lines, valves, pumps, chiller, etc.

Once i KO i kill the pump and add the hops. I come back every 15 minutes or so with the spoon and stir things up a little. While it probably won't kill you to run the pump the whole time, the pump blades do break the hop pellets up into a very fine powder, which makes separation harder. I try to keep hops out of my ferm.

Back