Whirlpooling after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan.a.nelson

Reaction score
Ive got a triple ipa with lots of suspended hops. I recently picked up a whirlpooling rod and I’m contemplating trying to whirlpool it first as step one in creating the clearest final product I can. Provided I properly sanitize everything am I asking for trouble? Will I get the effect I’m looking for? I considered other choices to contain my hops up front but feel like Ill limit their impact on the beer if I do (which I read is personal preference for many). Anyhow, thanks for the comments.

Not a good idea, because you are likely to oxidize the living daylights out of the beer by agitating it once fermentation is complete.

Duh, you are right on. Ill cold crash it and then pump through a filter I just bought. I don’t have a pump. Can I push from one keg to another with CO2? Or should I really get a pump?

Duh, you are right on. Ill cold crash it and then pump through a filter I just bought. I don’t have a pump. Can I push from one keg to another with CO2? Or should I really get a pump?
Yes, but only until the filter or a poppet clog up, which they're both very likely to do if there is significant hop material in the keg.

What kind of filter did you get?

I see you are a new member and a triple IPA is a big investment. Do you want to discuss this a little further before you do something that might damage the beer?
In that light, regardless what filter you have, don't filter the beer. Filtering will cause oxidation, more so with a pump.

Filtering is not needed, cold crash at ~32F under CO2 for a few days and everything should have precipitated into the trub layer, leaving clear or slightly hazy beer on top, ready to package.

Transfer into a 100% liquid pre-purged keg through the liquid out post to reduce or eliminate air exposure and thus oxidation. The keg remains closed until next cleaning!

The whirlpool gadget is to be used in the boil kettle, not on the "cold side" of the brewing process. You will need a "wort" pump, such as a March, Chugger, Riptide, etc. for that.

I'm with lizard ^^^^ filter , no bueno . Looks like cold crash is your best bet . This is why I use bags while dry hopping . Never have to worry about it . However I think I'm gonna try and cold crash my next IPA since I have the set up and go commando........well dry hop commando , you all know what I mean lol.

Also , I dont know how long you've been brewing but as the posters above stated triple IPA is definitely an investment. I hope you have the equipment to minimize your o2 because hoppy beers are sensitive.

Back