Whirlpool setups...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResQue

Reaction score
Let's see them! I am considering whirl pooling before I chill my wort. Do any of you guys do this? Would love to hear whether you do or don't and the reasoning since I am learning. I thought about installing a recirc port at the level of my valve and using a false bottom so the bag doesn't snag during the mash. Any thoughts?

I whirlpool while recirculating through my CFC. This accomplishes the chilling & creates a nice "pyramid" of trub in the middle of the bottom of my BK. I can then drain directly through my ball valve into my carboys.

I use a spoon. I stir the wort during chilling. It's really cheap compared to a pump and plumbing.

People who have tried both keeping the trub out of the fermenter and letting it all into the fermenter say they cannot taste any difference in the flavor but enjoy that extra beer or 2 that would have been left behind in the whirlpool trub cone. The trub will settle out in the fermenter, get covered by the yeast and given time will compact down into a layer that will stay put pretty well when racking to the bottling bucket or keg. The beer clears the same either way.

I agree with RM-MN, don't worry so much about the trub.

I have a whirlpool setup on my keggle and I do whirlpool when using the IC, although it works better with the IC pulled out most of the time I leave it alone.

I had my dip tube going right to the center of my keggle, well almost the center and still left a good amount of trub in the keggle when done racking to the primary. I don't think it even left a cup behind with that setup.

I just made another dip tube and moved it to the side of the keggle, part to leave behind a little more trub cuz it will no longer draw from the center of the trub cone, and part to get the dip tube out from under the IC.

Of course I had this in mind when I was building my keggles and brew stand, the whirlpool moves the wort when I'm chilling and I don't have to stir it, this helps cool faster with the IC.

Thanks guys, that's what I am looking for. I was wondering if anyone noticed any "off" flavors if they collected the trub in the fermentor vs leaving it in the kettle. My ground water is cold enough that I can chill in one pass to the fermentor. I am not gutsy enough to try no chill yet. For those that recirculate, how do you do it? Recirc port or copper whirlpool arm, or?

For those that recirculate, how do you do it? Recirc port or copper whirlpool arm, or?
Port, but I no longer take my IC out. For me, recirculating is more about effecient chilling than forming a cone. I just let it settle for 15 minutes or so, and drain into fermenters.

edit to add:
BIAB. My condolences. :cross:
Sorry, missed the "bag" part of your OP.

whirlpool_05.jpg

Hop Screen 13.jpg

I am wondering if a port like that would interfere with a bag during BIAB?

I am wondering if a port like that would interfere with a bag during BIAB?

Only thing I could see happening would be catching the bag on it but I don't think that would be too hard to avoid just with how it's bent back. For recirculating the wort I don't think it would work that well though.

Latest posts

Back