Whirlpool port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how and what type of whirlpool set up I am going to install and had a few questions. I see a lot of people that mount a whirlpool port pretty low in their keggle.

I like the lower mount because I don't need as much tubing to get up to the top of my keggle and my pump doesn't need to work as hard to get the wort up there, so I'm leaning toward the lower port mount.

My question is: will a normal chugger pump work for this lower port mount? It seems that if you have 12G of liquid in your keggle, the downward pressure from the liquid may overcome the pump. Is the force of a chugger pump more than the downward force of 12G of wort pushing through my bottom mounted whirlpool port?:confused:

I’ve installed a Spin Master on my 15g boil kettle. This necessitates mounting it near the top. I’ve chill w/a CFC while whirlpooling using a March pump. No problems.
I did add a ball valve to the outside to avoid any Siphon effect.

You will need a valve on the lower port, that is really the only downside to this arrangement. I put mine up high to avoid needing another valve and to avoid leaks through another wield-less fitting.
As far as your question is concerned, a standard chugger pump has 18 foot head pressure. You probably have less than 18 inches of head pressure in your kettle so it is more than adequate.

The pressure is the same (bottom or top mount). Chugger pump wont have a problem.

Back